Discuss How do I make antique lights suitable for outside use? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electron

-
Arms
Reaction score
A Customer has decided to buy a pair of outside lights from a salvage shop. Whilst they look nice I need to find a way to make them suitable for external use. IP44. They want dimmable LED. Also need an earth connection as made from aluminium. Pictures attached. 210mm diameter. 100mm high (top and bottom both 50mm). Supply is via 1.5mm T&E. Has anyone any suggestions? DSC_0535.JPG DSC_0536.JPG DSC_0540.JPG DSC_0541.JPG

Well it looks like they have a rubber seal on the cover. I guess I would use a plastic stuffing gland for cable entry and bush the BC fitting to screw into that perhaps? Earth connection can easily be achieved a number of ways.

Personally, I wouldn't be trying to do anything such like. Manufacturers have to fulfil certain construction criteria to make their luminaires up to a stated IP rating. If you do this and it fails achieve a water tight seal, they'll be asking you to rectify it, if it fails and causes injury, your insurance company won't cover you.

I've seen plenty of adaptable boxes, conduit boxes used where the installer has tried to achieve an IP rating, and they have failed miserably.

I whole heartedly agree with @Midwest . It's a can of worms I certainly wouldn't open... however... what about a low voltage solution such as a 12v light?

Get a low voltage plastic lamp holder, secure it to the back plate with a generous dose of sealant between it and the back plate. Get a rubber grommet in the hole to protect the cable... not too tight as it could also function as a drain hole, and a good dose of sealant around each screw mounting hole with a rubber washer and metal washer on the inside.

Edit:- Use some 3 core TRS cable and terminate that inside.

No kidding there! Always go low voltage...I love it! Lovely transformers mounted in a nice dry garage, easily accessible.
I used to do wiring on boats, and working with 12v systems with their excellent water-resistant plugs and sockets was a joy...and if you think IP44 is tricky, try making a deck gland totally waterproof to salt water innundation whilst beating across the Minch in a Force 6 where your navigation lights and radar scanner have to function impeccably.
Ah, happy days...
PS On my 4th GnT! Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be...and it's useless if you've got memory loss too!

Aluminium can 'rust' (oxidise) quickly in outdoor conditions so they won't last long unfortunately. I personally don't think it's a good idea to use them outside, even with modifications. Maybe find an alternative?

See... Tels found the solution. Tesco bag round the whole thing.... Job done..

I was wondering why that showed up in the pics.... Presume its a advert...

Reply to How do I make antique lights suitable for outside use? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net