Discuss How do I replace a bulb in my bathroom? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

MJR1990

DIY
Reaction score
18 months after buying the house, a bulb has gone, and I can't for the life of me figure out how I need to change it.

(Yes I feel like an idiot)

I've attached the pictures to show -
I have no way of turning the bulb from the light normally to pop it out like I do with my kitchen ones.
I've tried putting a sucker on the bulb and pulling but it just pulls the whole unit.
The bulb holder has grooves on the side which look like I should be able to turn it, but I can't rotate it.
When I try and pull it down to see if it has any clips, it doesn't go down very far even with a lot of force and I don't want to damage the light or my ceiling.

Am I being an idiot?

Help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200306_102153.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200306_102158.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200306_102221.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200306_115827.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200306_115856.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 23
The brushed chrome bezel appears to be decorative, and should simply turn a small amount to loosen.
I would be surprised that this lamp has failed. It looks like an LED.
If you can carefully prise the fitting from the ceiling. It shouldn’t damage the plasterboard, but the clips will be strongly sprung and could give you a nasty bite

Hi, thanks for the advice. TL;DR version, I did it.

So basically the bezel does screw off, but it's utterly impossible to do with the unit in the ceiling. I had to pull it out (hard, and the clips did a bit of damage to the plasterboard), so I could apply counter-force to screw it off. Now that I've done it once, it screws off easily, but it was properly stuck the first time.

I've put it all back in fine with the new bulb and will just have to paint around it to hide the marks.

So if anyone has similar issues, that will probably do it. Total ballache though - don't want to do that three more times with the other lights!

Thanks again for the advice, it gave me the confidence to yank it harder :)

Reactions: DPG

Reply to How do I replace a bulb in my bathroom? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net