Discuss How do I safely use a 16A 250V EU subwoofer at home with UK wall sockets? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi folks, new member here. I am a DJ/electronic music producer with basically zero experience in advanced electronics.

I recently bought the Presonus Eris Sub8 subwoofer, I need help using this safely at home.

The appliance came with an EU plug (two circular rods) and it says 16A 250V on it, which I believe means it runs on 4000 watts.

I bought a cheap consumer EU-to-UK adapter but turns out the adapter only allows 13A, which from what I've read online I believe would burn/explode/start a fire if I used with the 16A subwoofer...

So my questions are:
  • Should I simply buy a new cable that has a UK-style plug and works at 16A 250V?
  • How do I know for sure the wall sockets in my house can handle 16A? My house is really old and hasn't had much work done on it, I could ask the landlord though.
  • I have read online that a double wall socket in the UK might typically allow 32A, so if I have nothing plugged in on one side, the 16A cable could theoretically be OK? But there could be danger from increased load from other devices plugged in on the same floor of the house?
  • How do I know if the subwoofer is earthed or not? What implications does this have for safety?
  • Should I look for a new EU-to-UK adapter that can handle 16 amps and this will solve the problem?
Update - interestingly the three-pin end of the cable which goes into the subwoofer says 10A 250V on it. Does this imply I could buy a new UK power cable that goes from 10A to 13A (rather than 10 to 16)?

Any info appreciated!

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 20
  • subwoofer.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 20
16A 250V is the absolute maximum current and voltage that the plug is designed for.
From the rating plate in the pic, your amp requires 220 to 240 volts, and consumes 100W of power. Using Watts Law, this gives a current of 100/230 = somewhat less than half an amp.

Reply to How do I safely use a 16A 250V EU subwoofer at home with UK wall sockets? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net