Discuss How do I wire a 3 pin UK mains plug to a fluorescent batten ceiling light fitting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

johnnybegood

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone could explain to me how I would go about, and what I would need to wire a 3 pin UK mains plug to a fluorescent batten ceiling light fitting. I am putting the light on a stand and will be using it portably plugging it into mains wall sockets.

The ceiling fitting is a T8 eco batten twin HF 58W

I am a complete novice when it comes to electrics, so will probably need even the most basic things explained to me.

All I know is that I'm guessing I will need some mains cable and a plug. As for what type of mains cable, or any other materials or tools I might need, I have no idea.

Thanks so much for your help.

Kind regards

Johnny

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone could explain to me how I would go about, and what I would need to wire a 3 pin UK mains plug to a fluorescent batten ceiling light fitting. I am putting the light on a stand and will be using it portably plugging it into mains wall sockets.

The ceiling fitting is a T8 eco batten twin HF 58W

I am a complete novice when it comes to electrics, so will probably need even the most basic things explained to me.

All I know is that I'm guessing I will need some mains cable and a plug. As for what type of mains cable, or any other materials or tools I might need, I have no idea.

Thanks so much for your help.

Kind regards

Johnny
Why on earth would you want to do this?

Flipping Heck or words to that effect, what next?

ah, a spam plug ( Single Pin Amps Moderate )

Lol, I approved this thread when it was in the moderation queue....I wasn't sure if it was a spammer but he's in the UK, his English is better than average and he was polite so I thought 'what the hell'.

Lol, I approved this thread when it was in the moderation queue....I wasn't sure if it was a spammer but he's in the UK, his English is better than average and he was polite so I thought 'what the hell'.

Why has everyone assumed this is spam? Is it because of the elementary nature of the question or that it is a seemingly ridiculous proposition? There is sense to it I assure you! ;)

Murdoch said:
Why on earth would you want to do this?

It is for a home photo studio. I need to light a background very evenly, and two vertically tripod-mounted twin batten ceiling fittings, positioned at either side of the background are very good for this.

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are not familiar at all with wiring then it may be better to buy a purpose made tripod mounted site light such as this one
How do I wire a 3 pin UK mains plug to a fluorescent batten ceiling light fitting Tripod light - EletriciansForums.net
This would avoid any problems with design and safety.
A standard fluorescent tube is designed for mounting on a flat surface and not a pole so it would be less safe.

good idea, but make sure to get 240V units.

If you are not familiar at all with wiring then it may be better to buy a purpose made tripod mounted site light such as this one
View attachment 24690
This would avoid any problems with design and safety.
A standard fluorescent tube is designed for mounting on a flat surface and not a pole so it would be less safe.

Thanks for the link - I never knew such things existed! however, I really need the fitting to be a twin light, and I couldn't find such a unit!

I've managed to get some advice from another forum fortunately and the process to go down the DIY route doesn't seem to complicated, so think I will give it a try.

Thanks for your input anyway, it was the only useful message out of all those that replied.

I've managed to get some advice from another forum fortunately and the process to go down the DIY route doesn't seem to complicated, so think I will give it a try.

possibly the politest way of saying we were bloody useless and thanks a bunch!

Reply to How do I wire a 3 pin UK mains plug to a fluorescent batten ceiling light fitting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock