Discuss How do I wire in a new ceiling light when no ground wire in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
So I am replacing an old ceiling light fitting in my bedrooom. There are only 2 wires coming from the ceiling and the new light has a ground wire. How can I connect the new lamp up. Do I just connect the old wires and then leave the ground in the new connects?
I should add I am far from a clever man so please keep it simple.
I am in UK if thats important.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• old wiring.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 22
  • new connectors.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 22
  • new lamp.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 22
Your new light is a class I fitting with an earth, which MUST be connected. Possibly there is an earth in the loft above, that was not brought down to the old fitting. Not connecting the earth would leave the light potentially dangerous.

There might be an earth in the old wire, I've stripped them back before and found the CPC (earth) was just cut flush
So have I, but it cannot be assumed that this cpc is connected to an earthed terminal at the other end. This must be verified by testing.
When a compulsory cpc for lighting circuits was introduced (1970?), there were plenty of cases in the following few years of modifications and extensions being made to existing lighting circuits, using cable with a cpc (because twin was no longer available), and the cpc cut flush at both ends.

Reply to How do I wire in a new ceiling light when no ground wire in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I am trying to replace an old ceiling light with a new one. My current connection has 3 wires and not sure how I should be wiring this...
Replies
Views
I am adding a light fixture in a room I am restoring in my 160 yo house. I have ran a new 12-2 w/ground wire from the ceiling box to a junction...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, hope all are well. I'm changing a ceiling rose and have lost the diagram showing where everything was connected (to the old light)...
Replies
Views
Hello, disclaimer: this is DIY and I am rather ignorant about electrical works. I just moved into a new rental apartment and i wanted to connect...
Replies
Views
Hi, there are 3 bundles of wires coming from my ceiling and I've been told they have been tested with a multimeter and have all got a current but...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock