Discuss How do I wire this confusing light switch? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

nwhoran

DIY
Reaction score
So I had a malfunctioning single gang switch in my garage and opened up the box to find 3 wires:

1 black red earth - seems to be providing power
2 yellow blue red - which is the circuit for the garage switches
3 yellow blue red - which is somehow sending power to the upstairs bathroom

Not come across this before so would value input on the best approach to wiring it

Attachments

• How do I wire this confusing light switch? Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 14.20.03 - EletriciansForums.net
    Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 14.20.03.png
    167.7 KB · Views: 61
Do you have a picture of how it is actually connected at the moment?

Do you have a picture of how it is actually connected at the moment?
Yeah the photo is a bit confusing so I've updated my dodgy schematic. I've only just moved in, the bathroom lights seem to be working fine but the garage switches aren't controlling anything and the lights are flickering. Something not quite right but struggling to get my head around it!

Attachments

• How do I wire this confusing light switch? Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 15.17.05 - EletriciansForums.net
    Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 15.17.05.png
    163.6 KB · Views: 64
  • How do I wire this confusing light switch? IMG_2815.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_2815.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 69
At a guess, the t&e cable you marked as power is live and switched live from the light fitting, and the live and neutral feed will be at the fitting.
Are you able to post a picture of the wires at the garage light?

At a guess, the t&e cable you marked as power is live and switched live from the light fitting, and the live and neutral feed will be at the fitting.
Are you able to post a picture of the wires at the garage light?
Hi Timbo, this is what it looks like at the light

Attachments

• How do I wire this confusing light switch? 9D2315E4-091E-49E6-8006-F9ADE2FD08B8 - EletriciansForums.net
    9D2315E4-091E-49E6-8006-F9ADE2FD08B8.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 23
I think there must be a junction box (or more than one) somewhere in between that lot.
You probably would be best getting a spark in to sort it out. If you post your location, there may be a forum member near you able to help.

Reply to How do I wire this confusing light switch? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock