Discuss How do you choose the Rccb Rated Current in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

How do you choose Rccb Rated Current at the your country?

Do you have an official document about it?

What do you reference for nominal current coordination with mcb before it?

How to calculate the rcd rated current and mcb rated current coordination, is there a document about it?

Thank you from now.

If you are talking about the current carrying capacity of the device, yes it would be coordinated to be capable of handling the expected load current.

If you are talking about the tripping current, we typically use 30mA for additional protection (i.e. protection of the end user of the installation) and the protection of sockets rated at 32A or less, 100mA for sockets rated at >32A and for providing selectivity in some cases such as protection the internals of metal consumer units when the earthing system is TT and not exceeding 300mA for protection against fire.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :)

If you are talking about the current carrying capacity of the device, yes it would be coordinated to be capable of handling the expected load current.

If you are talking about the tripping current, we typically use 30mA for additional protection (i.e. protection of the end user of the installation) and the protection of sockets rated at 32A or less, 100mA for sockets rated at >32A and for providing selectivity in some cases such as protection the internals of metal consumer units when the earthing system is TT and not exceeding 300mA for protection against fire.

I know it, thanks, but Is there a formal calculation or figure that I can refer to for selecting the rated current, more about the selection of rated current that I want to learn? :)

The RCCBs rated current carrying capacity should simply be large enough to handle the expected load. How you calculate that will depend on what it's supplying.

In domestic, the regulations suggest that RCDs should have upfront over current protection, so in a lot of our consumer units that means if the main service fuse is rated at 60A, the RCDs should be rated at 63A, if it's an 80A fuse, the RCDs should be able to handle 80A. Some suppliers such as Hager provide RCDs rated at 100A since this is the largest standard service fuse size in domestic installations.

Previously we would size the RCD for the expected load it was going to handle using diversity. You can find out about diversity and how it applies to sizing protective devices by doing a search on YouTube for SparkyNinja and Diversity. He's done a webinar recently about it and uploaded it to YouTube.

i wouldn't dare. ;)

Yes... if the MCB has a tripping current of 32A, then if the RCD is after it, it should have a current carrying capacity of at least 32A so that it isn't subjected to a protracted overload.

For example, for a small house, how many ampere rcd do you choose after a mcb of 40A in the main breaker position?
We don't put MCBs in the main breaker position, we generally use a double pole switch in domestic installations.

generally the RCD comes before the breaker/s. in a lot of cases, the RCD serves several breakers, so it's current rating needs to be > the total of the breakers it feeds, allowing for diversity of the circuits. so if it feeds 4 x 32A breakers, but with a design load of all 4 being ,say, 75A. you would select a 80A or 100A RCD.
[automerge]1588352262[/automerge]
where have all the avatars gone? mine, sparkchick,s and andy78 are all blank?????

So how many amps do you usually use in the main circuit breaker position? How many amps do you choose RCD in such a house?
[automerge]1588352647[/automerge]
Which network system are you using?
[automerge]1588352877[/automerge]
If possible, can you share a sample fuse box image, to better understand amperage?

Last edited:
im most houses here, each has a 80A or 100A supply with corresponding main supplier's fuse. the average house will have either a dual RCD dis. board, i.e. a 100A main switch with 2 RCDs, each either 80A or 63A, serving 4-6 circuits each... or each circuit protected by it's own RCDO (RCD and MCB combined.

dual RCD Board:
https://www.screwflix..com/p/britis...d-high-integrity-dual-rcd-consumer-unit/4674g

Reply to How do you choose the Rccb Rated Current in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock