Discuss how do you deal with Non paying customers? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

RABEC

Just out of interest as i have one or two being a real pain in the behind who owe me money and i've done the job and paid for the gear...and i need my brass!

hi rab,
a lot of i depends on the customer and the arangement you had when you agreed the job , if it was a quick cash job ,it should be exactly that ,if the job neads inspecting etc ,then you might have to wait ,so without knowing the details about the deal ,i cant really advise ,feel free to explain ,i know various stratagies

good for that guy,but the legal complications of going in to someones house and ripping out the wiring and mains board is very different to knocking that down tho.
It really peeves me how folk think they can pay us tradesmen when they like..every other thing they pay for when they buy it but us poor buggers have to wait..and sometimes we cannot afford to.
plus they dont want to sign contacts either..they'd just get someone else (which in the long run would've probably better for us)

I deal with things the good old fashioned way. You owe me money and don't pay - I create you a world of pain. Far more productive than the frikkin magistrates court.

so what if say you had a black belt in karate or some arnold schwarzengger type where banging on the door and demanding money won't help?
courts too long winded and being nice gets you nowhere to start with!

Well, I am 18 stone, hold three black belts and look damn ugly. Surprising how quickly people offer to pay when the alternative is a sack over the head being driven off into the wilderness with nursery rhymes being played at full tilt through the stereo and a faint knocking sound of a shovel as it bangs against the ply lining of the van

;):D:D

Ok then RABEC, when being sensible, I have found in the past that taking people to the small claims court usually works. I have had to do it about half a dozen times in total and always won and only ever failed to get my money once.

Then I got the nursery rhyme tapes out...........................

Last edited by a moderator:
so what if say you had a black belt in karate or some arnold schwarzengger type where banging on the door and demanding money won't help?
courts too long winded and being nice gets you nowhere to start with!

THere are profesional collections agents out there who dont cost a huge amount and will if necassary go down the court route, they also know lots of tricks like the ability to add interest to the amount outstanding and effictively reclaim all if not more of your money.

HAvent had to use these guys but have met them and would use them if necassary Thornbury Collection Services Ltd - professional debt recovery based in South Wales

Nah, stay away from debt collectors cos they charge you a min of 15% of the debt and they do nothing you can't do yourself. You can add interest, just read the pamphlet that the courts will send you and it tells you everything you need to know

My ex boss rang me up tonight to ask me if i would help his take some light swtches and sockets off and cut a few cabels on this rewire he did a couple of weeks ago, and they keep making excuses about paying.

Hes given them till this friday or snip snip chop chop it is!

heh heh,good for him...its a bugger how we have to go to these extremes..but some customers are down right bad people and employ you with no inent on paying.
we should be covered by the law on such events..they are if vice versa..

One builder I know got fed up of being told to go round and collect his dough at a certain time,only to find no one in (suprise suprise).
In the end he went round at 3 in the morning and knocked them out of bed, made a right row and embarrased them in front of the now awake neighbours !

Funnily enough they coughed up ! To**ers

One builder I know got fed up of being told to go round and collect his dough at a certain time,only to find no one in (suprise suprise).
In the end he went round at 3 in the morning and knocked them out of bed, made a right row and embarrased them in front of the now awake neighbours !

Funnily enough they coughed up ! To**ers

Quite rite too:),
you have to be carefull though ,if the police had got called ,he could have got lifted and charged with a breach of the peace,or even worse ,demanding money with menace,:mad:

same with the other post about removing the sockets,thats maybee ok if the punter lets him in to do the job ,cutting the wires is criminal damage.:mad:

best policy is via the small claims court ,even then theres no gaurentee:mad:

good luck with what ever you decide to do:)

You are right rum. I think its a question of how far do you go. Very frustrating.

One thing for certain, its a bloody nightmare, even down the legal routes.

Only as difficult as you make it chaps. Key thing is, remember that your instinct tells you to go and rip everything out but remember - as Rum says, it's criminal damage.

i know what your saying but the goods remain your property until they are payed for,thats my philosophy.

Sadly not in ther eyes of the law which is strange as title normally passed upon full payment. It seems we are hard done by as the law states that as soon as we install then title passes to the customer. Summat ain't right:mad:

Reply to how do you deal with Non paying customers? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock