Discuss How do you pay mates/ subsides in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I recently needed a hand , so advertised for a mate on here, and he's been working for me for about a week now. We obviously agreed payment and I have paid him, but I wondered if you guys had any sort of template you use as a receipt, stating such things as "I'm liable for my own tax" e.t.c, just so I have a record to justify the books e.t.c.

Cheers

Tom

Last edited:
Technically he needs to invoice you, That would require him to be self employed though. Alternation you should be paying him via PAYE if not..

It up to you though bud.. Is this a long term thing?

he needs a utr number and id get him to fill in a timesheet which acts as an invoice, either that or deduct the tax and ni hed pay til he gets it sorted or im sure youd be liable mate

It could possibly be a long term thing, work is picking up at the moment, but for the moment it's best for me if he can just help out as and when. The invoicing thing makes a lot of sense, I'll talk to him tomorrow

I got a 'mentor' through a training college. He must have been happy with me as I asked if he'd give me 16hrs p.w. for 26 weeks. Ended up doing usually a full 40hr week.

To keep his books straight I applied to hmrb** for a self employed ref number and invoiced him weekly for hours worked.

He was happy, his accountant was happy, I was happy and hmrb were happy.

He just needs to let hmrb know asap, and if you've give him anything that folds, ignore that week(s).

But you all know that anyway!!

** Her Madges Robbin Bar stewards

I normally get them to give me receipt, to be honest i have taking tax few times and spent it...

So is that would you do ,write pay your own tax on receipt.. And he signs

Easiest way is to get him to go through an agency, they will stop his tax, NI etc. You will then be invoiced accordingly, probably 30 days payment. It takes out the hassle of you doing paperwork for tax, NI etc.

Easiest way is to get him to go through an agency, they will stop his tax, NI etc. You will then be invoiced accordingly, probably 30 days payment. It takes out the hassle of you doing paperwork for tax, NI etc.

no way. this is what keeps these parasites going. why feed them?

Hey Tel, you get good and bad in all mate, dont tar all agencies with the same brush. I use one here and have the same sparks on my jobs and to be honest they are better than some of the directs we have.

i've had good and bad exp. with agencies in the past. general issue is they pay the spark £10/hour and charge the client £15. just a way of driving down wages. and all agencies are out for themselves. they book you in for a job starting monday, then text you at 5pm on the friday before to say the job's off, or poach you from a job with promises of a start, then once you are committed, there's no job there.

i've had good and bad exp. with agencies in the past. general issue is they pay the spark £10/hour and charge the client £15. just a way of driving down wages. and all agencies are out for themselves. they book you in for a job starting monday, then text you at 5pm on the friday before to say the job's off, or poach you from a job with promises of a start, then once you are committed, there's no job there.

Couldnt agree more, my one and only experience with an agency made me vow never again. never paid on time, or part paid and dropped at a moments notice.

Do not use a agency just as a means if payment that's so so so wrong on so many levels and stupid.

It'd most likely take a hour or so to set up paying properly via CIS

Its a fairly straight forward process, your mate needs to register and get a UTR number (this can take a few weeks) then once he receives it he gives you a copy of the number along with full name and NI number. You then phone HMRC and get him verified, then every month they will send you a form to complete stating deductions etc. I would get him to complete a time sheet if he doesnt invoice. Then every month you give him a voucher or something along them lines showing that you have paid the tax. If none of the above is done and it comes to light about the work etc unfortunately you are liable. This is all how I understand it but have been proven wrong on many an ocassion :)

Hey Tel, you get good and bad in all mate, dont tar all agencies with the same brush. I use one here and have the same sparks on my jobs and to be honest they are better than some of the directs we have.[/QUOTE

Ehh, really.. So you agree to pay bob £8 they take £1 so he gets £7 why would you even concider that??

Reply to How do you pay mates/ subsides in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net