Discuss How do you protect your tools from been stolen? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

LukeD

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have a habit of DIY engraving my initials and phone number on just about everything .
I spray parts of big stuff so its easy to see if its "moving" . I keep records and i know where to go "looking" in London for stolen tools at markets etc .

last problem was a git trying to swap my nice new 18v Makita batteries over for his one year old ones. He even thought he was getting away with it until i asked him how come he has the same initials as me engraved on the side of them !

I now tend to drop off big stuff and use a small car for day to day. Vans etc just seem to be robbed all the time. Estate cars seem to be popular now as you not so 'trade"

would be nice if FLUKE etc could offer a service where you program in your details to your meter and a code. until the code is entered your details come up on start up

would be a good idea to have a PIN so tester is unusable without entering PIN.

I think Metabo & Hilti have a security system on some of their tools whereby you cant use them unless you have the security keyfob to disarm the immobiliser.

I do the old engraving in mine, including batteries and chargers, with my name, postcode and house number, phone number and 'if sold, please call'.

I do have "rocker's" sprayed on easily confused things like steps, I may stick it on my tools and batteries as well after reading that. My engraving is in semi-hidden places so there still could be a bit of 'confusion'.

Securing things wise, I would say a car without tinted windows so people can see that you don't keep anything in it, and DON'T KEEP ANYTHING IN IT! For when you are driving around, an offcut of dark coloured carpet over everything is better than nothing and doesn't light you up like a christmas tree. If you can, keep all your power tools and certainly your tester in your house. If you can't keep the tools indoors, they need to be in at least a sturdy, locked and alarmed garage or shed. Wherever possible, in house, shed OR car, a good little extra thing to do is get some chain, bolt it to the floor or whatever, pass it through the 'handles' of all your toolboxes and lock it up with a decent padlock. Try and make it tight so they can't open the boxes to get the tools, but to be honest they are normally only interested in boxed stuff anyway.

The chain idea is what i use. Pass it throught all the hadles of the tool boxes, at least it makes robbing them that little more difficult and teres more of a chance of the theiving scum running before they can get hold of anything

i do exactly the same, but chain steps and 3kva 110v tranny to them as well. if you've got a big enough van, those wheeled cages used for shop deliveries can be chained to the inside of the van and padlocked. then when arriving on site, wheel the whole kebang to where you are worling.

i do exactly the same, but chain steps and 3kva 110v tranny to them as well. if you've got a big enough van, those wheeled cages used for shop deliveries can be chained to the inside of the van and padlocked. then when arriving on site, wheel the whole kebang to where you are worling.

That's a brilliant idea! If I ever get a van big enough I'm doing that. My mum works for asda, I'm sure she'll be able to negotiate one for me...

I have a habit of DIY engraving my initials and phone number on just about everything .
I spray parts of big stuff so its easy to see if its "moving" . I keep records and i know where to go "looking" in London for stolen tools at markets etc .

last problem was a git trying to swap my nice new 18v Makita batteries over for his one year old ones. He even thought he was getting away with it until i asked him how come he has the same initials as me engraved on the side of them !

I now tend to drop off big stuff and use a small car for day to day. Vans etc just seem to be robbed all the time. Estate cars seem to be popular now as you not so 'trade"

would be nice if FLUKE etc could offer a service where you program in your details to your meter and a code. until the code is entered your details come up on start up

I agree & that's why I never owned a van - plus the fact that if you have a family like I had, they tend not to like being taken for days out in a van - so I used a Mazda 626 hatchback.

Over the years, I owned four of them & found I could get all my tools (four boxes worth) plus bits & pieces all out of sight in the boot & if I was carrying ladders, pipes, conduit etc. I fitted the roof rack.

If I needed to carry anything bulky - like a bathroom suite - I could get it all in just by foding the back seats down.

In 20 years I never had anything stolen from the car.

I agree that it would be nice to have some sort of security code programmed into testers & such like. My camera (Photography is a hobby of mine) has my details stored in its memory & while this won't prevent it from being stolen, I'm hoping it will help to have it returned to me if ever it does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every night.

All the good stuff is in its own compartment made of strong ply, chaind and a serious lock on the side door, as thats the only way you can get to it all

I have caught a few people over the years pinching my tools, usually the nice new ones that I just bought from bills tools on saturday, I always put my initials as a minimum on a few places where they would be hard to rub/wash off, and when you come round the corner and your box is half empty you can try to retrieve the tools, when I had some things go missing over a tea break once, a shiny brand new file I had bought caught my eye sticking out of a contractors bag, I asked him about it and he grumpily said "has it got your f in name on it PAL" I said yes it has, and as I got it from the USA and they dont sell them here, I think you would be hard pushed to say your aunty bought it for you...and my names here...and here....and under here.....I got a 5 minute tirade of expletives and flying slevers and banging about but I got my tools back out of his bag, another 5 minutes and his bag would have been zipped up and probably casually ----ed in his van.

Be aware that the ones to watch out for are the ones who turn up on site, will only be there for a day or two and will never be back, you know the contractors in to fit a few automatic doors in a supermarket, or the guys laying the flooring, doing the taping etc, they are fly with it too.....they scope out your tasty toolbox,wait till you are at tea and sling it in the back of the van then they are off to the next job 400 miles away never to be seen again, or at least they better hope they dont bump into me again... I have had a few brand new jackets go as well,and I even know a guy got all of his tools, every last one...and his used boots stolen at tea time when he put his trainers on to go to the shops.....rediculous...

problem is I live in a terrace street where parking is awful. Most nights I would be parked 200 yards up the street. Hauling my gear up and down to the house would just bring unwanted attention. Have the windows of my combi silver tinted and there is no advertising so hoping it will keep the thiefs away.

I keep a nasty, underfed Rottweiller in the car. :)

Seriously, it's one of the reasons we don't use vans - other than one for big stock items mostly. We don't sign-write either.

That said, there's no telling because the sum in London will screw anything with wheels on it - sure they get off on the sound of breaking glass sometimes - even in "allegedly" secure car parks in places like Mayfair.

I had a Focus Estate emptied one night while I was merrily supping on God's Reward in the adjacent public refreshment facility. The upside of that was being a country pub, the thirty or so tradesmen in the pub, some of whom had also been done, and I knew exactly which "temporary" site to visit to ensure the return of most of it.....which was all, again mostly, residing in a flat bed transit. Good night.

The down side is it sets you up as a target for the future. That lot seem willing to take a beating on the one night, and spend their time going after you one at a time. One of the plumbers got taken out on a job - did his legs permanently, although the ones that did that are still doing time now, it got messy for a while. Three of theirs got done in a pub two nights after, and oddly, the pub phone wasn't working until about ten minutes after.......

The best the council and old bill were able to do was to move the rest on, but that took a year.

So, yes, most of the guys I know take everything out at night, and reload in the morning. Most I know also have CCTV of some type too - some in the Vehicle, and others on the house where they can see their motors. All recording.

As for marking tools, we tend to use tamper proof labels - shiny things that you can have printed, but which break apart when you try to remove them. Has come in handy once or twice on and off sites. Like these here.

You guys are painting a pretty bleak picture of what sounds like a massive crime wave. I use a car for work with no extra security measures. There is just a postcard sized company name and logo on the back window. I carry mostly PLC equipment, 3x laptops and a few nice testers and a data acquisition unit.

When I first set up my business I tried to insure the equipment in the car but they wanted an annual premium of one third of the equipment replacement value. I said no and didn't insure. Touch wood that was 19 years ago and I've never had any theft. I don't take anything out of my car at night, it just parks outside in my driveway. Even in the town centre or on new installation sites I've never had a problem, neither have I heard of any of my colleagues getting stuff stolen. Maybe we're just lucky, I've never had a break in at home either.

I wrote my phone number on the inside battery comparment of a 18v dewalt drill the once. One day I woke to find the van door open and the dewalt gone.After about 8 weeks on a saturday night I had a withheld number call my phone, when I answered this guy held my drill up to the phone and pulled the trigger spinning the chuck and said " remember this noise mate,? this is the drill I nicked out of your van" he then starting laughing and put the phone down. I really wish I had some plastic explosive in that drill and could of detonated it with my receiver and blew his head all over his chavy **** tip flat.

Reply to How do you protect your tools from been stolen? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock