Discuss how does sub-contracting work? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hitman11

hey guys ive just moved here from new zealand and im gona start sub-contracting to a company next week,, im getting 100 pound a day and was wondering is this before or after tax? and how does this whole subcontracting thing work?

hey guys ive just moved here from new zealand and im gona start sub-contracting to a company next week,, im getting 100 pound a day and was wondering is this before or after tax? and how does this whole subcontracting thing work?
You need to contact the HMRC and ask for a UTR (unique tax reference) they will then give you a number you show employers. It is usually a 20% deduction, if you are on 100 a day you will pay 20 a day in tax and recieved 80 a day actual take home. Keep all reciepts for transport costs/fuel, MOTs etc etc, and reciepts for tools/clothing, your accountant if you use one will probably be able to get you a couple of thousand back at the end of the year. To add, If you are a qualified Electrician you should be on more than 100 a day before tax if self employed, you are probably being slightly underpaid, but maybe if you prove yourself you will get more in the future

yeah the guy im working for said he will start me off on that, as im knew to the uk and will take awhile to learn how you guys do things here.

thanks yeah that helps, ive just got the basic handtools (screwdrivers, toolbelt, pliers, side-cutters etc) will that be fine? i dont have my own transport so i use the tube, buses etc

thanks yeah that helps, ive just got the basic handtools (screwdrivers, toolbelt, pliers, side-cutters etc) will that be fine? i dont have my own transport so i use the tube, buses etc
will be fine for the first day, you may have to buy a drill quite quickly though and I find impact drivers a must myelf, Makita do a drill and seperate Impact with 2 batteries for a couple of hundred, you may have to get your wallet out very soon. Keep all reciepts for the tubes and buses in a safe place, you can claim that back as travelling expenses, One bit of advice for you=always take your time and do the job properly, you will gain respect and when work gets low they will try to keep you on whilst others more slap dash get the push.

yeah i was planning on getting a drill soon, was the best way to carry all my tools around? is there a big carry case i can buy or something?

yeah i was planning on getting a drill soon, was the best way to carry all my tools around? is there a big carry case i can buy or something?
Take it to site bit by bit and store it there if at all possible, don't forget to insure yourself, you can get PL insurance for a million for about 50-70 quid, most employers want to see that, not sure what tool insurance costs though.

thanks, yeah im talking to the boss on monday and he should fill me in, how hard is it to get a ECS card?

Tom Dick and Harry submit tenders to a big contractor for a job.
The contracts manager interviews them to justify the costs.
Tom quoted £3,000.
£1,000 materials £1,000 labour and £1,000 profit.
Dick quoted £6,000.
£2,000 materials £2,000 labour and £2,000 profit.
Harry was the most expensive at £9,000
" How can you justify £9,000?" asked the contracts manager.
"Easy" said Harry;
£3,000 for Me
£3,000 for You
£3,000 for Tom, let him do the job!!

That's how subcontracting works

You will need to sit an ecs test to allow you to work on building sites (most) first of all, £42 if you were wondering and you can book a test online. I would recommend a skill card if your qualifications are applicable to ours (I've no idea so do not want to judge)

Check if the agency is paying tax for you and just paying your take home wage then you would only need to pay ni. If not you will need to pay your own tax via the methods stated above

atb

im not working for an agency, im gona be sub-contacting to a company so ill have to register with the hmrc? ill ring up the esc place and see if my new zealand electrical ticket can cross over to here

Here how to register as self employed
https://www.gov.uk/set-up-sole-trader

Once you have you Unique Tax Reference (UTR), you should then register for CIS
HM Revenue & Customs: Construction Industry Scheme

Get yourself a accountant as they will be able to sort your tax return for you, unless you feel competant to do it yourself.

Then contact the ECS to find out if your qualifications are valid over here
https://www.ecscard.org.uk
If they are the ask about getting anECS card

If you can't get a ECS card then just go for a CSCS card so you can at least get on site to do work until you sort out your ECS card.
CSCS Cards - Construction Skills Certificate Scheme

cheers that helps alot. so all those steps that you listed is that what most sparkys do here?

and what about income insurance? i wana play some club rugby while im here and incase i break my leg or something.....

The top links will explain a lot more, as for NI contributions you immediately qualify for free health care here no checking up if you are entitled to it here for any emergency treatments.

Reply to how does sub-contracting work? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock