Discuss How easy would it be to detect illegal power tapping? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

FlashDave

So my landlord has been tapping power illegally for god knows how long, recently he caught wind of a council inspection so he had his own electrician out for 3 days rewiring the system. How easy would it be to get this reported and if it was reported could they ever detect that he had been fleecing the system?

the only method i know is observation of the meter readings depending on the loads and consumption calcs if there is any discrepancy (there is usually a little depending on weather conditions)
but if its large enough it should warrant investigation

Every house and consumer has consuming habits .... its hard to legally proof after the event but big changers can warrant a legal access inspection, all consumers are monitored to an extent and logged and usually a 3rd party will be involved to highlight a concern or accusation where they will take all saved data to take you to court... its actively used now to spot spliff dens as they require alot of power to stay hidden and the first to acknowledge the change is the energy provider.. alot of the scummy dope heads don't realise the property is already under suspicion after a few weeks.

It seems a little strange that you would be up for reporting him, being your landlord you could get chucked out the house if things turn sour?

depends on the kind of metering over there. if theres a smart newish electronic meter then is easy to track it back... if there is old school meter then not so easy.
if install was done by a professional cowboy then some circuits may be wired before the meter and some after so usage shows up constant most of the time.
if no one will make a call, he haven't been caught red handed and his spark will make install legal then not much to worry about.

Reply to How easy would it be to detect illegal power tapping? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net