Discuss How EXACTLY do immesion heater tank thermostats work ? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RogerJ

My first post after extensive Googling. I'm qualified as an elctronics engineer (retired) Posting this question here in hopes that an enquiring electrcian will know the answer. The last time I changed a tank stat, I disasembled the old one and kept the 18" brass tube and central steel thin rod.. ( I do things like that a lot) I can see how it works but wonder if anyone here knows if that central thin rod is plain steel or Invar..
I have a use for a thin Invar rod in a DIY clock.. Thanks..

My first post after extensive Googling. I'm qualified as an elctronics engineer (retired) Posting this question here in hopes that an enquiring electrcian will know the answer. The last time I changed a tank stat, I disasembled the old one and kept the 18" brass tube and central steel thin rod.. ( I do things like that a lot) I can see how it works but wonder if anyone here knows if that central thin rod is plain steel or Invar..
I have a use for a thin Invar rod in a DIY clock.. Thanks..
Best bet is to ask a manufacturer?

Very unlikely to be invar as invar has a very low expansion rate to keep the change in length of the pendulum at a minimum, in the case of a thermostat, you want the expansion to be quite high such that the increase in length is sufficient to operate the contacts.

It's the same whether the expansion comes from the expansion of the whole rod, or from a sensor at the remote end transmitted by the rod, you wouldn't need to maintain a low rod length expansion rate.

Very unlikely to be invar as invar has a very low expansion rate to keep the change in length of the pendulum at a minimum, in the case of a thermostat, you want the expansion to be quite high such that the increase in length is sufficient to operate the contacts.

It's the same whether the expansion comes from the expansion of the whole rod, or from a sensor at the remote end transmitted by the rod, you wouldn't need to maintain a low rod length expansion rate.
Hi Julie
I did a little research on this yesterday for my own interest. and found a patent application that specified Invar for the central rod.
The principle of operation, at least for that stat, was that the outer brass tube lengthens with temperature increase, and since you want to get that movement back to operate the switch, you don't want to cancel it out with a material that also expands.
So with the brass outer and Invar centre rod, you get maximum 'gain'. if you use steel, you would get a lot less movement, and hence less 'sensitivity'.

F98A0E7B-9D11-4E17-A17D-468B8D1B8DDB.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Julie
I did a little research on this yesterday for my own interest. and found a patent application that specified Invar for the central rod.
The principle of operation, at least for that stat, was that the outer brass tube lengthens with temperature increase, and since you want to get that movement back to operate the switch, you don't want to cancel it out with a material that also expands.
So with the brass outer and Invar centre rod, you get maximum 'gain'. if you use steel, you would get a lot less movement, and hence less 'sensitivity'.
Ah OK.

I assumed it would be the central rod that would expand, but yes it makes perfect sense.

It's the outer tube that provides the expansion. The inner rod is just to couple that expansion back to the switch mechanism.
Any expansion of the inner rod is undesirable, but as long as it's less than the outer tube, the 'stat will still work, but will be less sensitive the closer the expansion rates of the two materials are.
You can make a 'better' 'stat with an invar inner rod, but an 'adequate ' one with steel, and since steel is cheaper than invar, I expect that it's steel that is used.

It's the outer tube that provides the expansion. The inner rod is just to couple that expansion back to the switch mechanism.
Any expansion of the inner rod is undesirable, but as long as it's less than the outer tube, the 'stat will still work, but will be less sensitive the closer the expansion rates of the two materials are.
You can make a 'better' 'stat with an invar inner rod, but an 'adequate ' one with steel, and since steel is cheaper than invar, I expect that it's steel that is used.
Thanks Brian and Julie...I think you may now have guessed I'd got that far :) and was hoping to find if the central rod was the best answer (Invar) - or the cheaper, less sensitive option, steel.. I've no way here to tell the difference myself so thought there was a chance someone would know. I suppose it's possible that it may even differ between manufacturers.
So unless there is someone out there who knows EXACTLY we'll leave it there.. Roger

As it's New Years Eve I hope you won't mind me going off topic and say why I hoped it might be Invar ;-)
I've built an accurate electricaly powered pendulum clock, with a 1 metre (1 second) Invar pendulum rod. The bottom supported 15lb steel bob however expands upwards with heat causing the clock to go slightly faster with increase in temp. If I could transmit that slight rise of the bob top to a suitable point up the main rod... with a thin Invar rod...and add a small weight to the top of it, I could cancel the effect out.. happy New Year all..Roger

Couldn't you get the same effect with a small additional weight attached to a brass rod, under the main bob? That weight moves down to slow the pendulum to counteract the expansion of the main bob speeding it up.
Alternatively, couldn't you attach the pendulum arm to the bob near its centre of mass, so that part f it expands upwards, and part down?

Hi Brian.. The second option is the solution used in high class work.. It involves drilling the bob with a shelf half way up.. and using an Invar tube back down to the rating nut.. Beyond my workshop capabilities.. But a small weight on a brass weight below is possible..food for thought there ! Thanks..

Hi Brian.. The second option is the solution used in high class work.. It involves drilling the bob with a shelf half way up.. and using an Invar tube back down to the rating nut.. Beyond my workshop capabilities.. But a small weight on a brass weight below is possible..food for thought there ! Thanks..
And then the next improvement is to deal with changes in barometric pressure! Happy New Year 🍾

And then the next improvement is to deal with changes in barometric pressure! Happy New Year 🍾
Yep..the final frontier ! I have a net friend in Canada building a similar clock but with micrprocessor (Arduino) control of the pendulum swing with plans to deal with baro. pressure. Sadly I can't program such things ! My clock is here: A DIY, NON Hipp Toggle master clock. - http://www.rogerj.co.uk/clock2.htm
@ AVO Mk8. . My first job intoduced me to the AVO 8 (and the Tektronics 535A) but I couldn't afford one in the '60's. Twenty years ago they were cheap as chips and I now have 12.. one of every Mk I think.. but mostly use a ten quid digital now.. :)

@ AVO Mk8. . My first job intoduced me to the AVO 8 (and the Tektronics 535A) but I couldn't afford one in the '60's. Twenty years ago they were cheap as chips and I now have 12.. one of every Mk I think.. but mostly use a ten quid digital now.. :)
If you've got one of the very first wood cased Avo's I'm really jealous!

My father 'bribed' me to work at my A levels by saying if I got the grades I needed he would buy me an Avo 8 (my choice of reward - what a geek). It's been in use for 55 years until my wife bought me an Avo 410 (isn't a 'real' Avo!) as a birthday present last year. Wow, I can measure capacitance!

Well done with the clock 👍

If you've got one of the very first wood cased Avo's I'm really jealous!

Nope... Nothing before the black plastic Mk1.. I got as far forward as getting a DA116.. Also not a "real" AVO !

And finally.. @brianmoore.. Quote "Couldn't you get the same effect with a small additional weight attached to a brass rod, under the main bob? That weight moves down to slow the pendulum to counteract the expansion of the main bob speeding it up."

Thinking about it a bit more.. that option would be cumbersome - clock geeks will know that the most sensitive place to move a weight on a pendulum rod it half way up.. Here a small weight would suffice.. BUT in this instance a THIN plain steel rod of the about 18" would move a small weight in sympathy with the bob.. However expansion of that rod would increase the "gain" - the opposite of its use in the stat. But it would have a completely different thermal hysterisis from the bob and may not be such a purist solution..

LOL...Thank you PEG and Happy New Year to all on the forum.. In the event last night the clock ws only about 0.1 seconds slow last eve (was reset last Thursday) and I got the the time from Jools Holland anyway.. :)

I got the the time from Jools Holland anyway.. :)
Can you anymore, in these days of digital everything?
Back when TV and radio were all analogue, if you listened to Big Ben on any device, the chimes were in perfect sync, and, I assume, accurate.
Nowadays, there's a noticeable difference between devices of the same type, such as TVs in adjoining rooms, radio different again, and if you start adding streamed sources, can be a minute or so behind the others.

Good point..In the good old analogue days transmission route delay was neglible. Big Ben is maintained by its keepers and no doubt on new years eve is tweaked to be as close as possible to GMT at midnight.. The pips are of course electronically generated by a source fed from a Caesium atomic clock..
I believe the delay via freeview is about 2 seconds.. Cable, Satellite and internet delivery may be a bit longer (and all different) Delay on DAB radio is significant and depends a lot on each radio's decoder (speed ,quality).. On NYE Jools is good enough for me and I reckon I was in sync with all indoor celebrators :)

I regularly watch F1, using feeds from various places for commentary, pictures and data screens. There can be up to 90 seconds difference between identical picture feeds, and anything up to two and a half minutes difference for the other stuff.
Radio Five Live commentator usually says exactly when pit exit light goes green, specifically for the purpose of synchronising their commentary with whatever picture feed you're using.

Reply to How EXACTLY do immesion heater tank thermostats work ? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net