Discuss How far do you have to go with pricing? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Retroviper

Hi just after a few pointers, I am doing a kitchen for my sister in law and as I am employed this is just a materials cost type of job.
However what i thought would be pretty straight forward has turned into a bit of a nightmare as on the first fix I checked the ring main which was open so I put a new ring in and later found the fault ( Jbs on the wrong cables)
Taking the CU cover off I saw that the ring main in a 32a mcb had 3 x 2.5mm all melted together!
My question is what happens if you can't find the jb's under the floor very easily? Even if you put all new circuits in are you then still liable for anything that you find? How can you price for that?

When pricing a job state exactly what you have allowed for and note that any remeadial works / faults found that require urgent attention are not allowed for and will be charged extra.
However before submitting any costs the installation shuold be tested ( IR / LOOP / Etc on the circuit to be workied on so as to expose as far practically possible any likely faults.

Well this is not a profit job just a favour really but just interested when you price a job properly do you do a quick test before giving them a estimate? What would you do if you just had to throw a few sockets in the kitchen then noticed they were also feeding their lights or something? (after the estimate)

i looked at a job a few weeks ago i did my tests and quick look at lighting and sockets no cpc at all in the lighting and sockets pre 1960 house rubber cables,cpc used for strappers,7.9k shower on main ring no rcd or iso switch.. i gave the bloke a quote for 4k total rewire as i did not want to do the job... now he wants me to re-wire the house within a week

and i thought 4k was a high quote as i did not want the job... just hope he pays up been told this bloke buys homes gets sparky to rewire then he moans about the price after you have done it all..

Im not at all clued up on the pricing /payment things would asking for dosh upfront (at least materials) be appropriate or would this look like Jack the lad \??

Im not at all clued up on the pricing /payment things would asking for dosh upfront (at least materials) be appropriate or would this look like Jack the lad \??

Yes, it would be nice to know if this is frowned upon, or if it just meant people would avoid using you?

Depending on the size of the job, a 25% deposit would not seem unreasonable :confused:

Maybe others that have tried that route would care to comment?

Cheers

Yes, it would be nice to know if this is frowned upon, or if it just meant people would avoid using you?

Depending on the size of the job, a 25% deposit would not seem unreasonable :confused:

Maybe others that have tried that route would care to comment?

Cheers

I would generally just do half the cost of the job for 1st fix and half on 2nd
if just a first and second together Then I would request a deposit of 25% us spark’s get a feeling if your asking is he going to pay be for you do the job walk away ! As if he owes you 4k and you cant get it ?????
good luck

big jobs i do ask for 30% up front .. i just got a funny feeling about this re-wire .. just hope he pays me in english pounds and not camels or trys to knock me down .. lol if your any good i will give you the other 2 houses to do up .. oh nice .. NOT

lol, yeah I normally require 50% payment upon completion of the 1st fix, and then the further 50% when the jobs complete. Most customers are happy with this as they see the materials on the job and are happy. Some do ask questions but I just explain it's needed to maintain my cash flow!

Reply to How far do you have to go with pricing? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net