Discuss How good are 1975 electrics? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As above, I would see if they will take off the cost of a rewire. If they refuse, then perhaps a compromise at half the cost of a rewire. Failing that, if it's the perfect house, and your only concern is the electrics then you buy it anyway, knowing that the maximum cost is going to be £5-7 (based on a 2-3 bed house) and the minimum cost will be £200 to get an EICR done (assuming zero work required).

My house is also approx 1975 vintage. The twin and earth cables are fine. There have been a few alterations over the years, but nothing too bad. In an ideal world a full rewire would neaten things up a bit, but in reality would not dramatically improve things.

Agree, most installations done since the mid '70s should be perfectly fine.

The real issue is if there has been additions/ diy changes, which without looking "under the bonnet" may not be easy to spot.

If there has been any, this could mean a lot of fixing.

Also, I would suggest moving to a rcbo type (modern consumer unit ) as the existing is likely to be a wylex fuseboard in any case, although this could be a simple swap and not a full rewire if diy dave didn't mess up the existing installation

Unless abused by rodents, DIYers, or thermal damage I would expect 1975 PVC wire is likely to be perfectly serviceable. But as raised above, very likely you will be short of socket outlets where you want/need them.

With a new board around 15 years ago it might have RCD protection on some circuits, but that it not guaranteed. Also depending on the make/model it might be getting difficult to source any spare parts now or to have space if you need any new circuits added, so you probably should be budgeting/planning for a new board as soon as you can irrespective of any EICR before purchase.

Typically a new board today will have surge protection, and the majority of folk on this forum would be recommending and fitting a board with all RCBO so a fault on any circuit only trips that set of loads, and not multiple circuits as you get with the older/slightly cheaper single or dual RCD style of board.

So without a recent EICR I would go with the above and assume/budget for a full rewire in the 5-10k range (very much dependent on the size of the house and area) and you might be pleasently surprised. But even with an all-clear EICR set of results I would be budgeting around £1k for a new board and any minor things to be added before you decorate to get settled in.

Last edited:
Just to update this.

They let our electrician in as he took a quick fire covid test.

Nothing badly wrong. Lots of sockets needing new face plates due to being the old type with no switches, the whole house is only run off one circuit or something which isn't ideal but not a massive problem for now, some sockets above the hob which isn't ideal either but no sign of it being a problem to date so no stress. Have had to remove some wiring which was being run from the ceiling down because it was a hazard or something but that took no time at all.

All in all, nothing major. Phew.

That is good to hear!

The recent regulations have stuff covering wiring that might collapse in a fire and present a hazard to fire-fighters, that is likely the reason for needing it taken down (otherwise it has to be fixed in such a way it would not collapse prematurely in a fire, so metal cable clips, etc).

Interested in the statement " Lots of sockets needing new face plates due to being the old type with no switches" are you sure it was switches and not shutters on the socket/pin outlets.

As far as I am aware that is not a reason to change them.
Unswitched sockets are allowed, but I dislike them as I really don't believe on inserting plugs "live" since quite a lot of equipment no longer has an actual AC power switch.

Yes, I know many folk don't bother to use the switches provided, but that is another matter :(

Depending on the age, approach to decorating, etc, it is also possible the sockets are generally in poor condition either mechanically or aesthetically as well.

Reply to How good are 1975 electrics? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net