Discuss How good are 1975 electrics? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi.

Hoping for some advise.

I am in the process of buying a 1975 house. The house is modern and well looked after.

Now, the last EICR was 15 years ago, notes on that are 'installation of new board, upgrade of incoming tails and earth (cpc), adjust circuit in kitchen and install new supply to cooker'

I was looking to get another one done prior to completing purchase, however sellers are unhappy to allow access. They have a legitimate reason relating to a family member being hospitalised with cancer and are understandably concerned about having someone in the house and the associated risks when they are frequently visiting the hospital. I might add, I do know this to be true.

I really appreciate their position but it has left me feeling very uneasy. Is completing without getting an EICR done a silly risk to take?

Rubbish, if they want a sale then they have to allow access to property. End of.

they may be nice people who say all the right things, but when it comes to selling there most expensive possession, they will do anything to get the best price.

There may be very good reasons they don’t want you checking the electrics.

As for 1975 Electrics. rule of thumb any installation over 30 years old go in with the expectation it needs a full rewire. Then if it doesn’t brilliant.

45 year old electrics. 45 years of additions alterations wear and tear. Chances are not brilliant, but you will never know unless an EICR is done.

I was looking to get another one done prior to completing purchase, however sellers are unhappy to allow access. They have a legitimate reason relating to a family member being hospitalised with cancer and are understandably concerned about having someone in the house and the associated risks when they are frequently visiting the hospital. I might add, I do know this to be true.
you have no legal right to ask the other owner for a EICR to be done ,if the other persons that own the property then you could ask them if one can be done ,and if they refuse all well good and done if it was me and some one in my family where poorly i would tell them to sling your hook.

you have no legal right to ask the other owner for a EICR to be done ,if the other persons that own the property then you could ask them if one can be done ,and if they refuse all well good and done if it was me and some one in my family where poorly i would tell them to sling your hook.
There is nothing legal to stop you asking for an EICR, but if the owners don’t want to get one done then they can’t be legally forced.

however you have the right not to buy the property if the homeowner refused.

here is nothing legal to stop you asking for an EICR, but if the owners don’t want to get one done then they can’t be legally forced.

however you have the right not to buy the property if the homeowner refused.
i have been thier before where i purchased property's ,the end of the day some else will by it.

Hi @lipglosspukka ,

as I’ve mentioned previously. There really is no way of knowing without the EICR, but 45 years is a long time.

as buzz has said the owners don’t have to agree to get the EICR done and you can still purchase the property without the EICR unless the mortgage company insist.

all I Would recomend is go in with the expectation of it needing a full refund @nd hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised if you don’t.

Mortgage survey is more about drive by and see if house is actually there. I would worry more about doing full structural survey and if they allow op to do that, I think it's far more important then eicr

Hi.

Hoping for some advise.

I am in the process of buying a 1975 house. The house is modern and well looked after.

Now, the last EICR was 15 years ago, notes on that are 'installation of new board, upgrade of incoming tails and earth (cpc), adjust circuit in kitchen and install new supply to cooker'

I really appreciate their position but it has left me feeling very uneasy. Is completing without getting an EICR done a silly risk to take?
If they want to sell the property then access should be made available regardless. They can make provisions. If I didn't get access I wouldn't be going through with the sale.

Don't know the size of the property, but get a local estimate for that size/type of property (typically £3-7k but could be more depending on size) and indicate that given the cost of a full rewire at that price you have to reduce the purchase price by that amount as without an eicr, you have to assume that a full rewire is required before actually moving in.

They would most likely allow an eicr then.

My parents house was built in ‘74, and apart from a few extra sockets, there’s nothing wrong with the wiring. Modern copper twin and earth, but obviously old colours.

Not all of that age will be the same though. Some may be the older stranded aluminium t&e, or maybe in conduit.
I don’t think it will be the much older lead cable or the rubber stuff that falls apart when disturbed.

What you may find is that there’s just not enough socket outlets to serve our modern lifestyles.... 2 singles in a bedroom at most, So likely you would be having extras put in anyway.
I’d be surprised at interlinked smoke detectors being present.

As above, see if sellers can drop the price of a rewire.

Reply to How good are 1975 electrics? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock