Discuss How is this possible in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

intacto17

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, I got that really weird issue with my internet router/line. I tried everything I could, replaced modem, providers everyone diagnosed the broadband line from every angle. But issue still happening, my internet goes down every few hours. But now I know the problem is somehow with my electric cables in that new flat. The reason I know it cos I got myself a neck massager, and everytime I plug it in and turn it on, in any plug in the flat, my internet will go down, like there is a surge or something happening in the flat. And this massager is the only electric device that is causing it.....what i think is that someone in surround flats has a similar device that is randomly causing my router to drop the internet connection, and re-establishing it (which takes 2-3min). I am at the end of my rope now, I was hoping that with your wealth of experience, you may have a better idea what is going on, and what could I check to see if I can fix the issue. Please help :(

How is your computer connected to the router - wired or WiFi?
When you say the internet 'goes down' what is happening? Is the modem losing the conneection to the line or is the computer losing the connection to the modem?
When it is working, are you achieving the correct speed? What speed is that?

If the modem is staying connected to the line and the computer is connected over WiFi, try connecting with a cable. If it is then stable, the massager is probably creating radio interference and there may be something else nearby doing the same as you say. Appliances are not supposed to radiate enough interference to disrupt normal WiFi operation, so if it is a proper branded product you might either have a faulty one or your WiFi connection is already battling against other interference. (Some low-cost grey-import goods do not have proper interference filtering as they try to save the cost). Try switching WiFi channels or scanning the spectrum with a phone app.

If you are already connecting your computer via ethernet or the modem is losing its connection from the line, then a likely cause is that the internal wiring of the broadband outlet in your home is marginal, e.g. with a split pair in the cable lying next to power cables, and it is too sensitive to interference. This can sometimes be spotted with a line test by the provider but not always.

You seem to have found the cause yourself, being the neck massager.
How many socket circuits have you got in the flat? If 2, try the two devices on different circuits (you might even have a socket on your cooker switch you could try?)

Does the router lose connection completely, or just the wifi side of it?

welcome,the broadband is nothing to do with your electrics ,but if you having problems and the only person to help you is local spark. or the telecoms people to see if the line is clear .

thank you for reply, the router is connected via ethernet cable to my desktop PC, this is the 3rd router, all affected in the same way, so I think the line interference is the most possible cause. As i said this is a new build so someone may have neglected the interference distance between phone line cable and electric cable, but the symptoms are that the internet icon on my router turns red, and the internet goes down for few minutes. I got a normal copper broadband and i always get around 11mbit/s. They tested the line saying that there is some weird interference, they replaced all my phone sockets in the flat, then disabled all apart of one, to make sure i get less errors on the line and that seem to made a problem less annoying but it didn't make it go away. I had 3 different technicians over from bt, openreach and some other, everyone is just puzzled by it. It drives me crazy, there is no fibre broadband when i live yet but even if there was i think the issue would be exactly the same.

I had annoying drop out problems with my previous provider. It work go weeks without a problem, then go down two or more times a day. Had to reboot the router every time. Phone line checked, router replaced, only main open reach socket used (that was replaced).

Did lots of research as you can imagine. Phone chargers, hairdryers apparently can all cause problems with the electrical supply, which effects the router.

Worst during wet weather, so my money was on a poor BT joint or cupboard somewhere.

Something to bear in mind , with no appliances at all --You will see broadband max performance vary all day long .
We share it with everyone / more home businesses !
( Turn on an old AM radio - near your neck massarger -to understand
if it can be used -same time as wifi is relied on)
Your neck massarger may be best to use fully relaxing ... not attepting to watch a screen !

As it's a flat does the BT line come in to a central point and then split to each flat, running along side with other wiring maybe?
Or does the BT line come in directly to your flat?

Reply to How is this possible in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock