Discuss how long can a spur cable be in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

There are no specific regs as to how long it is.
However it will have to meet regulations regarding volt drop calculations.

as long as the Zs at the spurred socket is below 1.09 ohms it's good (assuming a 32A type B MCB), and of course VD below 5%. (11.5V).

If if longer than a drum of 2.5 then its too far...:cool:
In all seriousness if we are talking domesticated dwellings then it’s unlikely to ever exceed maximum permissible lengthy

I want t run a spur(using 2.5mm cable) from a socket on a ring main . how long can the spur cable be?
Lots of imponderables to deal with Voltage at final destination ( have any volt drop calculations been done?)
[automerge]1570541797[/automerge]
not sure how to do v/drop calc , the spur will be approx 4m. i want to run a tumble dryer from the spurred socket
What is the Electrical load of the tumble dryer?

if you're going to run 4m 2.5 cable, why not run 2 cables and extend ring in existing socket using wagos or ideal in line splice connectors. it's less than a fiver for extra materials

Lots of imponderables to deal with Voltage at final destination ( have any volt drop calculations been done?)
[automerge]1570541797[/automerge]

What is the Electrical load of the tumble dryer?
[/QU
if you're going to run 4m 2.5 cable, why not run 2 cables and extend ring in existing socket using wagos or ideal in line splice connectors. it's less than a fiver for extra materials
thought about extending ring but nearest point to break into it easily and fit conector block will be 6/7m . The 4m length would be fed from back of socket.

why can't you run 2 legs from the socket. joint in back box?like here?

how long can a spur cable be rfcextend - EletriciansForums.net

thought about extending ring but nearest point to break into it easily and fit conector block will be 6/7m . The 4m length would be fed from back of socket.
You will need to be certain that the socket you intend spurring from is actually part of a RFC and not already a spur from the RFC, and your addition is NOT a spur from an existing Spur

You will need to be certain that the socket you intend spurring from is actually part of a RFC and not already a spur from the RFC, and your addition is NOT a spur from an existing Spur
the socket I am intending to spur from is part of the ring main. and is not a spur
[automerge]1570543634[/automerge]
thanks , will have another look at options

the socket I am intending to spur from is part of the ring main. and is not a spur
[automerge]1570543634[/automerge]

thanks , will have another look at options
see picture in post #9. it's 1 I did last year. obviouslytrhe red/blacks are existing. the brown/blues are my rfc extension., clipped about 3m under floor in crawl space. ( this is what thin apprentices are for. :):):)).

because today he wants to run a tumble dryer; next week he may want a dishwasher and a washing machine in the same location. as it's only a 4m run, why skimp for the sake of a few quid?
nope
because today he wants to run a tumble dryer; next week he may want a dishwasher and a washing machine in the same location. as it's only a 4m run, why skimp for the sake of a few quid?
but at the moment he wants to run a tumble dryer, end of, perhaps he might want a sauna, who knows, but for a tumble dryer, its fine

There would be no reason why a WM and DW could not both run on a double socket from a properly wired spur.

nope

but at the moment he wants to run a tumble dryer, end of, perhaps he might want a sauna, who knows, but for a tumble dryer, its fine
don't dispute that, but for the cost involved in extending the rfc, why limit the work to a single accessory point.

That's a hell of a big cupboard he has there... room for a tumble drier, dishwasher, washing machine and now a sauna !!

Reply to how long can a spur cable be in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock