Discuss How long is a piece of string (silly pricing question) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Afternoon all,
I realise that this is very likely a silly question but I'm only looking for a very pricing guide from a professional.
I moved recently and as a result no longer have a garage. I'm building a workshop which I eventually want to get connected to proper mains electricity rather than making do with an extension lead.
The CU is currently full - no spare connections available.

Here's the daft bit - if, assuming that everything else is in order and nothing else needs doing:

How much work (time and ££) would it take to split the tails, add in a Henley and an isolator switch? (Can't do this myself obviously because it would involve disturbing the DNO fuse)

I need this work done so that at some point the SWA that will come into the house from the CU in the workshop can be connected.

As I say, I'm only looking for a very rough ballpark estimate - I know it's very often the case that other things end up needing replacement but I just need to know how to price up what this project will cost me. Are we looking at £50? £100? £500?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Cheers

I don't think anyone could give you realistic figure, one would have to see the job to give a quote justice. Why don't you obtain some quotes from some competent electricians?

PS cross out your first two examples.

Assuming you have adequate space at the intake £200 to £250.

Depends, What will the load be?
How long is the cable run?
How will the cable be run underground etc?
I know you wanted a rough guide, but these are the sort of things we will need to know, Oh one thing, personally I'm not that clued up on todays pricing been out of the game since retiring, but as guys return from work this is the sort of stuff they will need to know.

£1000 .................................................

would be a budget for running a cable from the intake to the garage and providing a CU in said garage (you doing the digging)

This is probably OTT, but better to have a nice surprise than a nasty shock.

Thanks chaps, very useful.
Just for info, I will do all the wiring for the workshop - lights and sockets, switches and cu and the sea cable laying/ digging etc.
The professional involvement will be the work at the board with tails etc and inspection of my work of course.
Useful for me to know a rough number though as it helps me to budget a bit.
Thanks

£1000 .................................................

would be a budget for running a cable from the intake to the garage and providing a CU in said garage (you doing the digging)

This is probably OTT, but better to have a nice surprise than a nasty shock.

Just for info, I will do all the wiring for the workshop - lights and sockets, switches and cu and the sea cable laying/ digging etc.
The professional involvement will be the work at the board with tails etc and inspection of my work of course.
Thanks

Best you find somebody who will sign this off and do the notification for Part P before you start then ................

Thanks

You seem to intimate that the work of laying the cable, wiring the building to the current BS is not a professional work ethic, It would be dificult to judge how you will find a qualified Electrician who would be willing and able to inspect and test your work, seeing as the SWA will be buried, hard for him to certify it's been installed correctly, I have seen it before, could you come and have a look at my shed Pete and sign the paperwork, my answer no chance mate, and they wonder why,

Afternoon all,
I realise that this is very likely a silly question but I'm only looking for a very pricing guide from a professional.
I moved recently and as a result no longer have a garage. I'm building a workshop which I eventually want to get connected to proper mains electricity rather than making do with an extension lead.
The CU is currently full - no spare connections available.

Here's the daft bit - if, assuming that everything else is in order and nothing else needs doing:

How much work (time and ££) would it take to split the tails, add in a Henley and an isolator switch? (Can't do this myself obviously because it would involve disturbing the DNO fuse)

I need this work done so that at some point the SWA that will come into the house from the CU in the workshop can be connected.

As I say, I'm only looking for a very rough ballpark estimate - I know it's very often the case that other things end up needing replacement but I just need to know how to price up what this project will cost me. Are we looking at £50? £100? £500?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Cheers
is this workshop 600m from your house?

Ooeerr, I seen to have given the impression that some aspects of the work are not'professional' - I'm not trying to offend anyone and I'm sorry if anyone felt that way. Reading the replies I can see that I need to get a discussion going with a local spark who can come along and advise what he can do and what I can do to help. Plenty of food for thought.
Thanks for all your help

Ooeerr, I seen to have given the impression that some aspects of the work are not'professional' - I'm not trying to offend anyone and I'm sorry if anyone felt that way. Reading the replies I can see that I need to get a discussion going with a local spark who can come along and advise what he can do and what I can do to help. Plenty of food for thought.
Thanks for all your help

How long is a piece of string (silly pricing question) images - EletriciansForums.net

Upon re-reading up on Part P I see that the regulations are far stricter than I'd thought and I didn't realise that what I was planning isn't allowed any more (I've lived overseas for 20 years).
I think I'll farm this job out to make sure I stay legal.
Thanks for your help guys

Upon re-reading up on Part P I see that the regulations are far stricter than I'd thought and I didn't realise that what I was planning isn't allowed any more (I've lived overseas for 20 years).
I think I'll farm this job out to make sure I stay legal.
Thanks for your help guys

How long is a piece of string (silly pricing question) sasq - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to How long is a piece of string (silly pricing question) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock