Discuss How long to 1st & 2nd fix 5 bed house? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Have a 5 bed house new build to price up, and tbh not done anything that big domestic so was wondering what you more experienced guys thought on how long 1st and second fix would take?

i can price materials etc quite easily but dont wanna shoot myself in the foot with labour charges.

Its a 5 bed with 3 en-suites and bathroom, living, dining rooms, study and family room, mainly sockets downstairs and kitchen with the usual accessories.
Also feed electric gates and garage with lighting & power.

i was thinking about a week & half for 2 men 1st fix and same for 2nd.

Any advice much appreciated!

More information needed.

Is it twin and earth?
Capped down walls or surface mount?
How many accessories?
How much chopping in for boxes is there to do?

Problem is getting at it at the right time, if the builders are ok it's easy, if they board and lay floors without telling you it can be a real pain. Theres got to be times when they are ahead of you and times when you can't get on . that size I think you will need to be team handed to keep up with them. two of you should do it well in that time if builders are decent.

T&E
Caping down walls,
average of 6 double sockets per room with tv point
2 wall lights in bedrooms with one pendant
18 circuits
Only chopping in of boxes a will be plasterboarded

I also agree that timescale should be sufficient, just didnt want to end up cutting myself short!

Yes buliders are good and would liase etc

Assuming no one else on site and two floors I'd say three days first fix max, probably two or three for second fix.

depends howmany plumbers,chippies,insulation guys,brickies ,muckspreaders,ect ect are getting under your feet,taking your runs moving your kit ect ecte ct

Taking into account your concerns over the size of the job i'd advise allowing 1 week for 1st fix and 1 week for second fix.

Also ensure you have a diagram of positions for all fixtures and fitting's and have an agreement with the client that any alterations may be charged as extra work (if it's an alteration of position before 1st fix is begun i tend to not charge but after 1st fix is installed a definite charge), often a client (if it's a one off build) can turn up and say 'was chatting with the other half lastnight and we was wondering........'

think between them, trev and swicade have got it right. 3/5 days each fix sounds about right if other trades are not muppets.

often a client (if it's a one off build) can turn up and say 'was chatting with the other half lastnight and we was wondering......

Oh yes, don't I only know this too well. Except it was the Husband changing things EVERY SINGLE TIME I went back!

It's an ongoing project that seems to have lasted forever and I absolutely detest going back now. I've been on my LAST VISIT on the LAST 6 VISITS.

Still, I priced as a day rate so what can I expect?

Good luck with the job, I hope you get it:thumbsup

Doing a big 5 bed at the mo and have allowed 2 weeks for first and same for 2nd but there are 100 dl going in so yours sounds about right

Just finished a 5 bed house doing out
The bill today allowed aprox £55,000
Just gone through time sheets
Job took 960 hours
May have just covered the hourly rate

Does sound a lot , but just say 100 Halers @ about £40 quid each, it soon gets away on you.

Just finished a 5 bed house doing out
The bill today allowed aprox £55,000
Just gone through time sheets
Job took 960 hours
May have just covered the hourly rate

55k. Seriously, was it palace with only 5 bedrooms..... What was the total cost of the build?

Reply to How long to 1st & 2nd fix 5 bed house? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock