Discuss How long to wait for payment? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all...

I sent an invoice for an EICR exactly 3 weeks ago and have not heard back from the customer. This hasn't happened before and I was wondering what the suggested waiting time is?

He was a decent chap and friendly (also very busy) so I dont think at all that he is not willing to pay, but I would like to give him a little nudge.

How long do you guys wait? 1 week, 1 month?

Cheers..

How did you send the original invoice - email or post?

Good point,

I posted it around the middle of august, I know he has received it though as he mentioned it when I returned to stop the RCD tripping, shortly after the 11 august.

In your position I'd give him a call to ask if there's been any more problems with the tripping RCD (nudge nudge wink wink) Keep it light and fluffy but at the end mention your bill and ask him to send payment. If you can take card payments you have a massive advantage at this point. "Oh I can take card payments now so if you want we can sort it now"
Play the rest as it comes.
Trust your gut on this kind of thing mate, I had a bad feeling about a guy a few weeks ago which I ignored. I told myself I was imagining things. It ended up costing me the thick end of two grand and giving me a big problem.

Hum,

I have a polite "covering" letter which I send with a 2nd copy of the invoice if posted.

If the original has been emailed (which most of mine are) the reminder gets emailed by forwarding the original email with the attachment.

There are a "group" of people who believe all trades people should wait 30 days so patience may work!

Too busy trying to be nice.. The only extra wording on mine talks about a 1 year warranty!

I think I'll add 'payment to be made within '**' days!

It's all well and good trying to be nice, nice is what gets you the work. If you're chatty and personable you very quickly build up a rapport with the customer. Nice doesn't pay for your fuel, insurances, wholesalers bills etc etc. Nice doesn't feed the bairns :)
Get a proper set of T&Cs knocked up and stick to them. It adds a degree of professionalism.

It's all well and good trying to be nice, nice is what gets you the work. If you're chatty and personable you very quickly build up a rapport with the customer. Nice doesn't pay for your fuel, insurances, wholesalers bills etc etc. Nice doesn't feed the bairns :)
Get a proper set of T&Cs knocked up and stick to them. It adds a degree of professionalism.

I will :redface:

Ps... I did a Business Studies degree at 18... got a fairly good result.... cant remember a thing!

For every large job there should be a written agreement between you and the customer which sets out exactly what is going to happen, when, how much it's costing them and when they will pay. It should contain details of what interest you will charge on late payments
Etc
Etc
Etc

I have Terms and conditions
17 stone winston is terms and 19 stone delroy is conditions
I always seem to get paid on time!!

Mike, I just noticed that Steve is round your neck of the woods. Any chance of showing him yours?
(Ts&Cs that is) I offered to post him a copy of mine but if he's round the corner to you.........

Steve, have you issued the EICR? I don't issue Certs/reports until cleared payment has be received. Never had anyone question this. Of course if they still don't pay, you/I ain't paid for our time!

To add to this if you don't have a small works contract it's harder to win if the worst happens. I used to be shy about asking for payment, but not anymore, will Asda wait a week for you to pay for the shopping? naa and nor should you :)

Evening all...

I sent an invoice for an EICR exactly 3 weeks ago and have not heard back from the customer. This hasn't happened before and I was wondering what the suggested waiting time is?

He was a decent chap and friendly (also very busy) so I dont think at all that he is not willing to pay, but I would like to give him a little nudge.

How long do you guys wait? 1 week, 1 month?

Cheers..

Not being disrespectful but think I better move on to odd jobs and housebashing.......at least I could only expect to be waiting a month or so for payment, at worst. Working for many small industrial and commercial firms it's a case of them getting some payment prior to paying us. They are usually contracting for larger companies who are the worst possible payers.

Reply to How long to wait for payment? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net