Discuss How many cables can you have in each MCB in the consumer unit? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hello,

Question number 2.

I didn't get shot down in flames with the first question so I feel able to ask another.

How many cables can you have in each MCB in the consumer unit and more importantly why?

This is not in order to try anything myself but I do want to try and have some basic knowledge before I start the domestic installers course.

Thanks..

As many as you want to mate, what can go wrong
YYYYEEEEEEEHHHHHAAAAA
Seriously though apart from RFCs in my opinion it's one MCB, one circuit, one cable

Usually

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry trev!

It's just it's such a novelty that I actually know the answer to something that I can't resist posting!

Next time I'll leave it a few minutes for everyone to make sarcastic comments ;)

And why only one? Is it because it just makes it very clear which circuit that MCB is servicing or is their some reason/physics behind it?

so we can get two 16 amp mcb,s and put one leg of the ring in each ,,,,that will keep one cable terminated in one mcb.....,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, not,,, found five 1,mm terminated into a 6 amp mcb once...good luck with the course feller...

But .... you can have a spur (radial) from the consumer unit in with a ring final circuit (RFC). So ... two for the ring plus one for the spur makes three in that mcb. Same goes for lighting radials.

Last edited:
Damn you beat me, I just saw a CU today with five 1mm in a lighting circuit, four 1 mm in another lighting, couple of normal rings, two 2.5 and one 4mm in another and a 6mm SWA and a 2.5 in another. All unlabelled!

Murdoch's post also reminded me of two rings joined into one ring but different ends from different cables joined together and two CPCs joined then linked to MET with the other two CPCs in another slot, rats nest wiring nightmare to identify and test.

Last edited:
in theory if you add the 2.5 and 2.5 mm cable together you can get 5mm cable which means you can also add a light onto the circuit with the spare 1mm ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to How many cables can you have in each MCB in the consumer unit? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net