Discuss How many LED downlights for my kitchen? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

don Logan

Hi, i'm sticking downlights in my kitchen. The ceiling measures 3150x4100mm and i'm not entirely sure how many downlights to put in. There's a lot of insulation above and not much room so i was gonna stick in LED's as they don't give off much heat.

How many LED downlights would people generally use for a kitchen this size?

I was thinking 6 (in 2 rows of 3), but am not sure if that would be too bright as i'm using LED's instead of halogen. I don't really want to pay out for dimmable LED's and a dimmer; I'd rather get the right amount of downlights.

Never used LED's before so am unsure of light output. Anyone got any advice and a link for some decent LED's?

Thanks.

i'd go for 5watt kosnic LEDs. alternatives from diamondledlighting.co.uk. but i would go for more than 6.

Ok, maybe i'll stick 8 in then.

Do those 5 watt Kosnic LED's fit into normal 230v downlights then? Or do i need downlights with electronics in them?

Thanks.

Just did a shower room 3m x 2m - started with 4 LEDs (4.5W), 2 for the shower at one end and 2 for the toilet at the other end. Next day hosueholder wanted 2 more for the gap in the middle as there was a darker area there, so ended with 6. Admittedly the fittings were IP65 so less light spread than if the lamps were lower in the fitting. Reckon in a kitchen your size I'd add another row of 3 to that.

The lamps I used were 230V EBrite and fitted into standard JCC fire-rated IP65 downlighters no trouble

PJ

can you provide a plan of the kitchen and ceiling height as this will have more impact than just the quantity. I would use
decent integrated led downlights like Halers, these come with a 7 year guarantee so are fit and forget,, they look excellent and provide a decent amount of output and are available in warm white or daylight.

as long as you buy GU10 LEDs, they fit standard 230V GU10 downlight fittings. nothing else required. it's the MR16s that require drivers.

from the dimensions you have given, i'd fit 2 rows of 4 each.

Ok cheers, as for the kitchen plan Pat Tester- It's a square, 3150x4100mm, only one wall unit, so not much to block out the light, other than that i don't know what to say.

I was thinking, if i use LED's, then can i get away with using non fire rated GU10 fittings? Being as they don't give off much heat... I'm prepared to spend on the LED's instead of buying GU10 halogens, but if i can save on the fittings without compromising fire safety, then i will. What am i looking at per fitting for LED's? Does a standard £8(ish) pound GU10 fitting with a £20 LED lamp sound about right?

Thanks.

I would personally go for 12 in a room that size, kitchens need to be bright

If you put less in, I would try and plan the lights so if you need to put more in you can do without filling the holes you have already cut

the fire shields your supposed to use are to stop fire from spreading through your house quicker,not to shield the heat givin off by the bulbs

I would personally go for 12 in a room that size, kitchens need to be bright

If you put less in, I would try and plan the lights so if you need to put more in you can do without filling the holes you have already cut

Seriously? It would be more like Blackpool pier than a Kitchen!!

3 rows of 4 would probably be right.
mark it out on the ceiling, see what it looks like.
how many spotlights is a million dollar question, it's all down to personal taste, shape of room, colour of kitchen units, the list goes on an on. That's why I say make sure you can add extra if required.
other ways - fit a dimmer (as mentioned) or put them on more than one switch.

If your on a budget wait six months to a year for the prices to drop,mate they are expensive most people ain't intrested cos of the price . Oh I think a prefere 12 volts more stable .

There are two lighting types for any kitchen

The first has about as near perfection for light levels,with minmum cost and very little shadowing,the lamps lasts for sometimes an eternity,they are also friendly to the "save the planet" geeks, however, fluorescents do not look as nice as Mrs Jones's decorative lights

The second type are more expensive,they breach the ceilings natural fire barrier,they have a completely inefficient mode of light for the workstation,require changing on a regular basis,the vast majority (when installed by diy homeowners) are nothing more than bunsen burners in the ceiling,,they are "planet changing"in their power consumption and with the disposal of the failed lamps,but they have one overiding advantage over system one,they look pretty

In work,I install type 2s for customers,however,I would not entertain having potentially dangerous and expensive garbage fitted in my kitchen :smile5:

There are two lighting types for any kitchen

The first has about as near perfection for light levels,with minmum cost and very little shadowing,the lamps lasts for sometimes an eternity,they are also friendly to the "save the planet" geeks, however, fluorescents do not look as nice as Mrs Jones's decorative lights
The second type are more expensive,they breach the ceilings natural fire barrier,they have a completely inefficient mode of light for the workstation,require changing on a regular basis,the vast majority (when installed by diy homeowners) are nothing more than bunsen burners in the ceiling,,they are "planet changing"in their power consumption and with the disposal of the failed lamps,but they have one overiding advantage over system one,they look pretty

In work,I install type 2s for customers,however,I would not entertain having potentially dangerous and expensive garbage fitted in my kitchen :smile5:

To be honest, i've never thought much of them either. My wife suggested them and i said no, but a single pendant type fitting isn't enough to light the room.

I was thinking of using one of those ELV 'track' lights where the lights are suspended off of 2 parallel wires (know what i mean?), but the massive transformers look rubbish. I'm open to suggestions as i really can't be aarsed fitting and paying out for LED downlighters anyway. They do look good for when selling the house though as women do love a "spotlight" arrangement in the kitchen...

Reply to How many LED downlights for my kitchen? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock