Discuss How many new electricians? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

drew35

Just counted seventeen new member introductions in the latest threads, can there be that many new electricians? I came to the forum late but not newly qualified.

I've been an electrician on and off over the past twenty years and have never seen so many sign written vans as I do now. I had a good customer ask me the favour of letting his son in law gain some work experience with me just last week. I expected someone in there twenties, he turned out to be late forties and doing a fast track electrician course. When questioned he had fancied the idea of a new career and had been sold on the adverts saying you'll earn 55k a year.

He thought when he passed his exams some company would snap him up as apparently there is an electrician shortage! And that he'd be earning the 55k advertised! Surely they shouldn't be allowed to make those claims in their advertising? I tried to break it to him gently that no company will employ someone of his age when they can get a trainee and pay them less than minimum wage. And that his only option is to go sole trader, to which he asked if he could expect a regular income of £2500 a month.

My advice was to ask for a money back contract on a job, and a pay packet of 55k. Or better still get the money back and become a window cleaner!

Right the rain is easing so its time to run some outside power cable (I don't like getting my tools wet).

All new people on today is because Dan has emailed people who are subscribers but have not posted yet and has encouraged them to introduce themselves.

Like me lots of people carefully search the threads for information without needing to post to get it.

Like me lots of people carefully search the threads for information without needing to post to get it.
That doesn't stop you from posting replies to other peoples questions though, or joining in discussions.
If everyone just lurked around in the background this wouldn't be much of a forum.

Reply to How many new electricians? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net