Discuss how many of you have left elecsa or niceic for cheaper alternative in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

crow11

-
Reaction score
as above, just had letter through from elecsa to renew at a cost of £444, out of every job i have done this year 99% of them didn't even know what part p was and wasn't bothered, the other 1% didn't care less who i was with as long as i could register the job, so now i get to thinking do i just go with the cheapest and save some money, i know this topic as been discussed before but just after any advice from people who have actually changed to the cheaper option and was it worth it cheers

I've heard tales that peeps have been left stung by the cheaper scams as after enjoying a nice cheap first year their renewal cost for the second is just as much as the others!

Member Ex Army is with Stroma which I recall being £250 + VAT per year

It was him I was referring to!! I'm sure I remember him posting about his second year going up to the £400 area.

NAPIT are £360 for the year.
For the first year, there is an extra £216 charge, but if you are already with another Body, they will deduct that.
However, they are the strictest on qualifications etc (which is no bad thing), so the 'less able' may not meet their requirements.

Crow 11 im in exactly the same boat. To be honest im debating joining any, as you say out of every domestic job iv done this year, only 1 has asked about a part p cert.

Crow 11 im in exactly the same boat. To be honest im debating joining any, as you say out of every domestic job iv done this year, only 1 has asked about a part p cert.

I can vaguely remember a householder asking about an installation certificate,it was such a rare occasion that I ought really to remember the occasion
icon11.png

As for a part p certificate
icon13.png
I assume you mean the piece of paper they are sent saying a job has been notified
That one I can honestly say has never been requested by anybody in my experience,that's assuming they are the rare breed who may by some remote possibility have any idea what it is in the first instance
icon7.png

I read responses like this and to be honest I think some of you are simply trying to justify breaking Part P.

I simply don't mention it unless its asked about BUT I always register the work and provide the necessary documents.

Plus round here, the legal professional have really got their teeth into this - so if you sell or buy a house the questions are raised and checks are made. This provides me with the occassional EICR and more often or not the remedial work. What makes me laugh is that any "saving" the homeowner may have got in the first place, is flushed down the toilet!

I left NICEIC when the inspector confessed he didn't know what regulations covered the work i was doing, and as the majority of my work is machinery and control i was telling him why my set-up complied... he even pulled me on the fact that my overload protective device for the final circuit to my panel overated my swa ccc ... and although he was aware i have used a specific regulation to allow the omitting of O/L protection he couldn't say if i had utilised the regulation correctly as he didn't understand the panel i had built ..... it makes me smile sometimes when the guy inspecting you knows less than yourself.... i asked if anyone else could assist but they said most of my work is out of their scope so goodbuy membership.

I read responses like this and to be honest I think some of you are simply trying to justify breaking Part P.

I simply don't mention it unless its asked about BUT I always register the work and provide the necessary documents.

Plus round here, the legal professional have really got their teeth into this - so if you sell or buy a house the questions are raised and checks are made. This provides me with the occassional EICR and more often or not the remedial work. What makes me laugh is that any "saving" the homeowner may have got in the first place, is flushed down the toilet!

I was also meticulous with the procedure for part p and I emphasise WAS

I have stated over many years,I have mates who never bothered with it,even when it was new and all the talk.to a man,they have not been impacted whatsoever
The one mate especially.who does only domestic, has always had work coming out of his eyeballs

I myself am a law abiding idiot, who tends to follow the rules never mind how silly they become.
Having said that,if I were working in England with the dregs of what is left of part p, before they abolish it,which they almost certainly will
Sooner rather than later,I would also seriously consider my own course of action, I will also take my hat off to anyone who opts out of this flawed building regulation

I left NICEIC when the inspector confessed he didn't know what regulations covered the work i was doing, and as the majority of my work is machinery and control i was telling him why my set-up complied... he even pulled me on the fact that my overload protective device for the final circuit to my panel overated my swa ccc ... and although he was aware i have used a specific regulation to allow the omitting of O/L protection he couldn't say if i had utilised the regulation correctly as he didn't understand the panel i had built ..... it makes me smile sometimes when the guy inspecting you knows less than yourself.... i asked if anyone else could assist but they said most of my work is out of their scope so goodbuy membership.

It begs the question, why did you join a scam in the first place?

Hi Crow,

I have only been part P registered for the past 2 years, both years have been with Stroma so I cant compare to Elecsa.

Heres a thread I started about registration fees with Stroma. If you dont want to read it all it basically turned out that Stroma hadn't really decided on a policy for their annual registration fee but at least for the present they are sticking to £240 + VAT.

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...cal-forum/81282-registration-fees-stroma.html

NAPIT are £360 for the year.
For the first year, there is an extra £216 charge, but if you are already with another Body, they will deduct that.
However, they are the strictest on qualifications etc (which is no bad thing), so the 'less able' may not meet their requirements.
oh aye?...and what quals are these then eh?
surely you arn`t refering to the `napit 2391`...and if you are..well, many in here know exactly what i think of that one...but just to give a reminder:

DSC01854.JPG

See, what annoys me is that I would be happier to pay the £444 every year, if the BC, along side the police, would put a bit of effort into tracing the cowboys out there that are installing death traps into peoples homes.

They seem to rely on US finding these bodge jobs before they kill someone.

I know it's not the jobs of the schemes to track these people down, but is anyone doing it?

See, what annoys me is that I would be happier to pay the £444 every year, if the BC, along side the police, would put a bit of effort into tracing the cowboys out there that are installing death traps into peoples homes.

They seem to rely on US finding these bodge jobs before they kill someone.

I know it's not the jobs of the schemes to track these people down, but is anyone doing it?
now now...
the last thing we need is some sort of `police`..going round with their overcoats 2 sizes too large to make them look all `important` and `official` ...a billboard completes the scene....
what we need is for these schemes to earn their corn by getting out into the public and promoting what they are riding on....rather than just skulking behind the scenes...waiting to pass go and collect £200 (metaphor)...then slinking away into the mists when they are called upon to do anything about the untrained, unregistered and down right dangerous that i (and most others i`m sure) come across on a nearly daily basis. if they cant put up...then they need to shut up...and that also means shutting up their grabbing, grasping paws for cash...our cash.

now now...
the last thing we need is some sort of `police`..going round with their overcoats 2 sizes too large to make them look all `important` and `official` ...a billboard completes the scene....
what we need is for these schemes to earn their corn by getting out into the public and promoting what they are riding on....rather than just skulking behind the scenes...waiting to pass go and collect £200 (metaphor)...then slinking away into the mists when they are called upon to do anything about the untrained, unregistered and down right dangerous that i (and most others i`m sure) come across on a nearly daily basis. if they cant put up...then they need to shut up...and that also means shutting up their grabbing, grasping paws for cash...our cash.

I get what you are saying, but at the end of the day the schemes have no authority to prosecute the idiots out there. Their mandate is to ensure that those of us stupid enough to pay them are competent to carry our work and notify and certify it accordingly.

Individual BC's are in a position to demand proper documentation from builders. I have done so many jobs where BC only want to see a cert to satisfy part P for the build, a cert that could be printed off by a 4 year old to be honest. Not one of them has even ever asked to see my card whilst I have been there.

What I REALLY agree with you on is the fact that there is absolutely no information out there for the general public. This new so called 'electrical register' they have created between them was supposed to ensure that the public has access to approved sparks but have any of us seen it advertised?

No, because it was created to satisfy a parliamentary demand that the schemes sort their crap out and come up with one overarching body that the general public could identify with. The schemes have no interest on amalgamating because they each make a fortune that they are not willing to share with the others. So they came up with that pile of rubbish so that they could declare some 'progress'.

Makes me laugh....:6:

Guys I have just registered on here and made a new thread which has not yet appeared basically I have been employed in the trade 9 yrs and hold 2330 levels 2 and 3 and nvq level 3 and 17th edition update. I looking to go self employed nxt year but to register with a art p scheme I believe I need to do the 2394. But within my nvq I am deemed competent to test inspect and com soon so what I'm really asking is do I even need to register as I'm already competent? As a lot of people have said we have very rarely been asked if we're even part p! Does a test cert from the regs suffice? Legally.

I though that that Part P was introduced to stop dangerous electrical work being carried out by any body, but wholesalers sell to anybody without question and the DIY sheds sell elec.showers, consumer units & external skts which we know they are not allowed to install. I was told by Wicks that you can do what you like in your own home, Part P does not apply, so there you go,

I though that that Part P was introduced to stop dangerous electrical work being carried out by any body, but wholesalers sell to anybody without question and the DIY sheds sell elec.showers, consumer units & external skts which we know they are not allowed to install. I was told by Wicks that you can do what you like in your own home, Part P does not apply, so there you go,

I didn't know Wickes were now writing the regs

Edit: All Wickes want is your credit card!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to how many of you have left elecsa or niceic for cheaper alternative in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net