Discuss how many regs does this contravene? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Doomed

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
4 times 10A MCB, each feeding one core of a six core armered data cable, cores look either 1.0 or 1.5mm.
That accounts for 4 of the cores, core five is the neutral for all 4 circuits, core 6 is the earthing (the armour is not used as a means of earthing).
Each of the circuits feeds a single 16A outdoor socket.
How many regs should I quote on the report, considering the person paying for the report is the person who installed it.

Just disconnect and condemn it, explaining that it is unsafe, you dont mention rcd cover either - if he questions why it fails then bring out 3sheets of A4 with the LIST on it. Seperate circuits can be fed down swa's as long as circuit conditions are met but this is clearly falling short of a even respectable attempt at DIY.

Already disconnected - will be doing a proper job on Friday, have to justify it to the customer who installed it and who keeps trying to recycle old MCB's,, RCD's and bits of cable and accessories on me, as well as saying he can buy stuff cheaper from Bristol then I get from the local wholesaler.
Whine over.

There's three or four that I can think of.
Undersized conductors, the circuits are not electrically separate, the circuits can not be individually isolated and the sheath which could be an exposed-conductive-part is not earthed.
Then there's poor construction, and failure to follow manufacturer's instructions by not correctly glanding off and earthing the armour.

Yep had that type many times but always inform them of the black market flooded with immitation fakes and i wont fit anything customer supplied without receipts or proof of where it was purchased, then note to them that scrimping £10 here and there isnt really worth the risk of putting themselves or a family members in an early grave and a proffesional job is worth every penny it costs.

i'm new to the game (so I apologise for stupid questions) but what's an armoured "data" cable?

You talking of armoured cat5 etc? Never seen one of anywhere near 1mm!

Last edited:

Reply to how many regs does this contravene? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net