Discuss How many sockets? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

ciare

I live in a studio flat(not sure of size), and I only have two electrical sockets in the living/sleeping area and one in the kitchen.

I was just wondering whether this is legal, or what the legal minimum is?

Thanks

There is no legal limit as such.

In the regulations, reg number 553.1.7 tells us that there should be sufficient conveniently placed sockets for mobile equipment likely to be used, and we do have guides in England and it is recommended for a bedsitter that there should be 4-6 sockets, depending on it's size.

In Scotland i believe that the building regulations do have minimum numbers for socket outlets, are you in Scotland

I live in England, I did advise the council of this(it is a council property)but they say to install more would be an improvement rather than a repair, so they will be leaving me with the small amount I have. It is quite dangerous though as I am having to use extension leads, and they are quite full, but have no choice.

You can purchase devices that plug into each socket-outlet that convert single to double and triple, and double to triple socket-outlets.
Failing that, you could spur off of the socket-outlets in the living/sleeping area, or get someone (Part P registered) in to do the work and perhaps add some socket-outlets in the kitchen

The actual reg reads

" 553.1.7 Where mobile equipment is likely to be used provision shall be made so that the equipment can be fed from an adjacent and conveniently accessible socket outlet, taking account of the length of the flexible cord normally fitted to a portable appliance and luminaries. "

It as always been my experience when you start quoting regulations at official bodies they tend to be a little more receptive

Its all about making sure that available points arnt overloaded with those 3 way boxes you can get etc. When we do a rewire we will put 3 double sockets (minimum) in a kitchen and a minimum of 4 doubles in a living room, 2 doubles in a bedroom, 2 singles in a hallway/landing etc. Obviously we will discuss with the client what the use of rooms will be and where they would like the points to be but we generally find that what we provide (number of sockets/points) is more than adiquate for the expected use/demand...............

As other people have said there is no legal requirement for number of sockets, so trying to get your local authority to install more will be a long and exhausting exchange of words that may be very frustrating to say the least.

I would recommend going to B&Q, Homebase, Argos or simialr place (but not a poundland type of shop) and getting a few 2, 3 or 4 way extension leads to suit your needs. They come in several lenghts. Work out what you need, buy them and run the cable as neatly as you can round the edge of the room.
I would avoid the 3way square adaptor that plugs into the wall socket with NO LEAD, its just a big plug.
You can plug an extension lead into another without worrying. Its not perfect or pretty but it does the job.

not a problem as the 1st lead is fused at 13A anyway. best solution is to get a local spark to fit a couple of extra sockets. won't cost a fortune, and at least they'd be done without 200yards of mini trunking.

not a problem as the 1st lead is fused at 13A anyway. best solution is to get a local spark to fit a couple of extra sockets. won't cost a fortune, and at least they'd be done without 200yards of mini trunking.
Was thinking about if they use an extention reel (something they find in the garage/bootsale or someone loans them) etc. So they wont unreel it fully thinking its ok and will just keep adding em on so you get heat issues etc..........

well. 2 birds with 1 stone then. runs the TV, computer, DVD player, and solves the heating problem

I think Malcolm wins this one. Start throwing regulations at the council. And tell them that the extension leads are getting very hot. Even though they are only recommendations they might take heed and do something.

Reply to How many sockets? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock