Discuss How many watts can a 300w rated Legrand dimmer really handle? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've got some Legrand dimmer modues, 7354-46.
They are rated at 300w but with the setup that I have I'd really like to use one of them on a circuit with a load of 420w.
I've read before that MK dimmers can handle 200% of their rated load.
Anyone know how much these Legrand dimmers can handle before you're really to risk causing damage?

i would not even attempt to overrun any dimmer. in my experience, most struggle to cope with their rated load, let alone an overload.

I would say if states 300W then that should be the largest load you put through the switch, whether there is a tolerance or not.

If the manufacturer was confident in their device at 200% then they would rate it at that wattage surely?

Unless you specifically want to make money from repeated call-outs, then don't do it. I always take the rating of them with a pinch of salt and go lower with the load.

seems i'm not the only one that's wet the bed this a.m.

I can't lie in any more, I always wake up at 7am or earlier, but to be honest this is the only time I get to myself these days. Until the wife and my boy emerge I can do whatever I want, it's so cool man. Apparently it's inappropriate to start drinking at this time though. Shame. ;)

Fitted a dimmer (400W) 3.5 year ago - got asked to replace as busted - it was controlling (happily) a 200w halogen light. This had popped and the nugget had put a 500w one in.

I agree with above posts re: handling rated loads they seem fragile at best.

I've got some Legrand dimmer modues, 7354-46.
They are rated at 300w but with the setup that I have I'd really like to use one of them on a circuit with a load of 420w.
I've read before that MK dimmers can handle 200% of their rated load.
Anyone know how much these Legrand dimmers can handle before you're really to risk causing damage?

75% of the rated value

that's the figure i wrk to, unless the load is halogen spots, then i drop to 60% of rated load.

Dimmer modules like those mentioned when co-located in grids usually need de-rating sometimes to 30% of the rated wattage depending on how many dimmer modules are fitted in the grid.

From past experience dimmers rarely last when run close to their maximum ratings and I can only think the 200% mentioned would possibly be a short term rating to cope with inrush when turned on and / or the brief peaks caused by lamp failure.

Madness to overrate them. Like Murdoch I’d go for 75% of rating.

The dammed things are unreliable at the best of times.

Down rating depends on load type. Always down rate by power factor of load, so 75% is a good starting point ( if dimmer can handle this type of load at all). Obviously not applicable for resistive load
I think Philips dimmable LEDs state to down rate by around 90 %ie 30w load on a 300w dimmer.

What ever happened to the reg's and following manufacturers guidelines you are only asking for trouble - heat dissipation is a major issue with dimmers and do often incur derating factors when grouped ... the hypothetical 200% you may have heard may be a short term loading tolerance before damage occurs and not continuous operational loading. Its similar to the KVA rating on say a 110v transformer these are actually in some cases misleading as its not a continuous load rating but a short term value... it is common to find a much lower KVA continuous rating in the instructions or on the plate but ironically tey advertise for the higher value of which they can't maintain.

The load that I wanted to put through the dimmer was 420w, which I thought might have been ok as manufacturer's ratings tend to err on the side of caution, wishful thinking perhaps.
The common consensus doesn't recommend this so I decided to play it safe and went with a 240w max load.

why not use a 700w dimmer.

Reply to How many watts can a 300w rated Legrand dimmer really handle? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock