• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss How Much is a labourer? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I set up on my own about 18 months ago and I'm getting a fair amount of work in, so I was just wondering if you guys ever employ a labourer or mate to help out on the odd occasion and how much do you pay them. I currently get the majority of my work in the centre of London.

Cheers for your help in advance

Tom

Depends what they're worth really..... pay my bro a quid less than I pay a spark when he helps me out for odd day = £12 / hr....

But he is quick, works his --- off and doesnt mind any crappy jobs..... chasing/boxing out, floor up and down, cleaning, loading / unloading van etc:punk:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Iam an electricians mate and generally industrial work is around £10.50ph, and housebashing around £7.50ph doing a 10 hour shift, but this is up north may have to pay more down your way

Upvote 0
It varies about as much as the work you expect them to do. Around here you can get a mate for £7.50 p/h, improver for £9-10 p/h. You could probably get a 'labourer' (sweep up etc) for £7.50 p/h or less.
As mentioned try to get someone recommended to you or use a reputable agency - some agency labourers aren't worth the hassle, never mind paying them.

Upvote 0
Go the collage, I have lads phoning me daily this time of year from the level 2s wanting to work for free for just the experience, I got a lad who was begging to work for free for me, I give him £30 a day and buy him a healthy lunch each day, defo worth a shout, I have a number there from the government that I have to call as they may pay me a £1000 a month to have him .

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, so if I budgetted around £80 a day i should be alright. Where do you guys find your labourers, or do you just ask around people you know and see if they know anyone?

What area are you from? I attend Guildford college
(not to far from London I think u said you was in London? )
and there's a few sensible lads there that would kill for the experience. Level 2 qualified just starting level 3

Upvote 0
Thanks Guys,

I live near weybridge surrey, but tend to travel into London a lot for work. I don't need a labourer at this moment in time, but just finished a large house rewire where i had to take on a mate of mine who is an electrician for some help, problem with that is its £150 a day, when all I needed a hand with was the pulling of wires and chasing, nothing over complicated. So I'm thinking next time I'll try and find a decent labourer/mate.

There are a couple of guys who have already messaged me, and its always nice to see eager apprentices and people willing to learn, so next time I need a hand I'll give one of them a shout.

Cheers for all your replies

Tom

Upvote 0

Reply to How Much is a labourer? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back