Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss how much roughly? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tipex

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

hi all, how much is it roughly for a electric cert to say i can rent my house?
already got a gas cert, just need a electric one.
thanks in advance

G

Guest55

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What you need is a EICR ( or periodic inspection )
Cost will come down to size of house or number of circuits.
Roughly between £100-200
I can do a drive by inspection for 50 lol.

O

Octopus

The price will depend on where you are and the size of the property !

I can do a visual from here for £50.00 but it won't be worth the paper its written on!

I charge £50 for initial testing and paperwork including 2 circuits. Then £25 per circuit thereafter. So a house with 7 circuits (2 sockets,2 lights, 1 cooker, 1 shower, 1 Immersion) £50 plus 5x £25 = £225 inc VAT
As it averages 45mins per circuit test it's a long winded job to do properly.
Don't trust very cheap quotes as they WILL be cutting corners on the inspecting side.

Don't assume it's going to pass though.

baldelectrician

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I carry out EICR's for £70 for a one bedroom property with £10 for each bedroom after that

This covers one DB / Consumer unit

I use easycert and do the software onsite

Tipex please be aware that the cost of testing that others have quoted does not mean you will be provided with a satisfactory cert and may come back with many items that need correcting as your question in the OP was so you can rent the property.
I'm sure and hope for you that no items need correcting but it may be that the place needs rewiring with can run into thousands so not an easy answer on that until you receive the results.

T

tipex

Tipex please be aware that the cost of testing that others have quoted does not mean you will be provided with a satisfactory cert and may come back with many items that need correcting as your question in the OP was so you can rent the property.
I'm sure and hope for you that no items need correcting but it may be that the place needs rewiring with can run into thousands so not an easy answer on that until you receive the results.
hope it doesn't need rewiring , it was done 11 years ago.

I carry out EICR's for £70 for a one bedroom property with £10 for each bedroom after that

This covers one DB / Consumer unit

I use easycert and do the software onsite
3 Bedroom house EICR £100!!!!!! Really? I take it you're not VAT registered and the local price of a pint is £1

- - - Updated - - -

I can't do maths obviously...... £90!!!!!!

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
count the breakers in the CU (just the breakers, not the RCDs). i would imagine 6-8 for that type of house.

Without knowing the amount of circuits, none of us will know how long it takes as each circuit is tested seperately. Thats why most people have a 'per circuit' charge.

T

tipex

count the breakers in the CU (just the breakers, not the RCDs). i would imagine 6-8 for that type of house.
if you mean the fuse box and where it says lights lights down etc... then there are 7 written up

O

Octopus

if you mean the fuse box and where it says lights lights down etc... then there are 7 written up
You should expect to pay around £200 and for the inspector to be in your house for 4-5 hours, then the remaining time at home compiling the report

T

tipex

thanks all:clap:

baldelectrician

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I use it as a foot in the door price, I reckon around 70% of EICR's fail - usually on bonding, lack of enclosures on spots etc .....

If I get the remedial work I don't charge the retest fee.

S

sedgy34

What you need is a EICR ( or periodic inspection )
Cost will come down to size of house or number of circuits.
Roughly between £100-200
I can do a drive by inspection for 50 lol.
can you do a drive by shooting too for £60 lol

S

sedgy34

I charge £50 for initial testing and paperwork including 2 circuits. Then £25 per circuit thereafter. So a house with 7 circuits (2 sockets,2 lights, 1 cooker, 1 shower, 1 Immersion) £50 plus 5x £25 = £225 inc VAT
Don't trust very cheap quotes as they WILL be cutting corners on the inspecting side.

just curious! what if you take cover off and there is another 2 circuits dogged in on the same mcb??is it still £25 for that circuit

cbw

-
I tend to still charge £25.00 for that circuit as its still the same amount of ?lights? etc

Tipex, PM sent as we are in your area early August if we can help!

just curious! what if you take cover off and there is another 2 circuits dogged in on the same mcb??is it still £25 for that circuit
Yep, win some, loose some. Did a lovely EICR yesterday. (NOT) filled up 2 extra pages of observations just on a 2bed ground floor flat. My favourite was the room stat. 3core & Earth at the heating JB. 2 pair telephone cable at the roomstat. (still 230V) I honestly don't know where to start to put it all right.

S

Spazz

I charge £20 per circuit - count the number of MCBs (fuses) in the fuse box and there is your price.

This is the average price that most electricians charge

Just make sure that the person you get is registered - they dont have to be but to get peace of mind for you and to have a bit of paper that is worth the money you pay get someone who knows what they are talking about.

I also have offers for landlords - PM me for details

T

tipex

thanks for the pms, my floors are going down next week, is that a bad idea before i got the cert or is failiure usually at sockets and boxes

S

Spazz

As the floors are up get it done before purely if something is wrong then it can be fixed at a reduced cost to you.

tigerpaul

-
Arms

Eh?

£50 for 1st 2 cct's then 5 more cct's at £25 each = £175
What's the extra £50 for?

;o)

O

Octopus

Eh?

£50 for 1st 2 cct's then 5 more cct's at £25 each = £175
What's the extra £50 for?

;o)
His new calculator so he can add up properly!

lol

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier

Reply to how much roughly? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
Top Bottom