Discuss How not to install and A/C UNIT in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Actually its not a bad effort considering its DIY.

Bad bits: Extra piping means unit will work harder (less efficient)
Outdoor unit too low, most likely get clogged up with crap after first year.
Wiring, well i assume its America so - no comment... lol

So what is wrong with it Pete? interested what you say is wrong with it apart from being American.

Agreed. Apart from the excess suction and discharge pipework, it seemed fine. A lot neater than a lot of the splits I see around and about. I guess the evaporator and lines are pre vacuumed and the refrigerant in condensor pumped down ready. Just connect the lines and let it go!

So what is wrong with it Pete? interested what you say is wrong with it apart from being American.
Never actually said it was wrong, just not the way to do it great big coil of suction and discharge pipework coiled up and shoved behind the Condensing unit, not really a DIY job is it? dangerous Electricity, and gases to deal with, job for a HVAC Mech in my books, just saying.

Bottom line is , if you ‘the home owner’ can buy it from the shops then in theory you should be able to install it. Using the supplied manufacture instructions and a certain degree of decent DIYer ability.
I never understood people saying ‘oh you shouldn’t do this or can’t do that’ when this stuff is readily available to purchase in DIY shops or DIY online websites.

If industries want home owners to not fit it then stop selling it to them

Could you use car refrigerant to charge or top up the system?
Cars are R134a generally. Splits are 410a or R32 more popular now as lower gwp. It's all very expensive now though!!
I think the Yanks are now using the new generation R1234yf which is a semi flammable floropropene gas in their auto air conditioners. Because it's semi flammable this new gas will only be available for purchase if you have an FGas license.

yes, its all getting difficult in the world of a/c. Good old R410 is now super expensive, R32 is so flammable that the MI's to install it have to be read very carefully wrt volume of gas in system vs volume of rooms(s) being served. I was going to install r32 into a small server room but when doing the calcs i would have needed both detection and ventilation systems installed which would have added considerably to the cost. Pressures are going higher yet the method of connection, i.e. hand flaring has not changed, i see many more leaks in the future.

Reply to How not to install and A/C UNIT in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock