Discuss How not to melt a cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Any help appreciated, I have a basic understanding of electrics.

I'm going to be hosting a small event ran entirely from one 2500kW generator. Off this I'm running two 500W speakers, a laptop connected to a mixer, two small laser projectors (doesn't specify any wattage but they're domestic not commercial). Obviously running that from a 240v generator theres a lot of juice coming through one cable. Is there any size I should be looking out for? Neither screw fix or amazon list any max Wattage/Amp specs. Although I have found a extension power strip on amazon listed as 2500kW (link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077T5PMRC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A20GM26JGP3TGZ&psc=1)

Will burying the cable help enough to stop it melting? I was also planning on keeping it covered in ice. Cheers

Lol, rather save the ice for the drinks.

Burying it won't stop it melting, cables have the highest current rating when they're in free air ie not covered or contained.

For 2500 kw you'll be looking at very large cables, are you sure it's not 2.5 kw?

Also are you hiring this generator for outdoor events or are you just using some old generator you've managed to lay your hands on?

If your generator is 2.5kw (I'm guessing it is) you could maybe scrape by with a 1.5mm² if it's nice and short but it's borderline and depending on manufacturers instructions. Good rule of thumb is keep trailing leads as short as possible.

Ideally I'd go with a 2.5mm² neoprene trailing lead (HO7RNF) and make it up myself to the correct length, it's less prone to damage. If you're on a tight budget then a 2.5mm PVC lead should suffice.

Remember, shorter the better.

If your generator is 2.5kw (I'm guessing it is) you could maybe scrape by with a 1.5mm² if it's nice and short but it's borderline and depending on manufacturers instructions. Good rule of thumb is keep trailing leads as short as possible.

Ideally I'd go with a 2.5mm² neoprene trailing lead (HO7RNF) and make it up myself to the correct length, it's less prone to damage. If you're on a tight budget then a 2.5mm PVC lead should suffice.

Remember, shorter the better.

Big thanks, you've answered all my questions rasta orangutan. And you're right I meant a 2.5kW gene hehe

If youre bored you could always work out the cable size required for 2500kw at 240 volts :)

Judging by the loads you mentioned ?
2.5kW is Adequate.
So 1mm cable will carry 10A a 240v.
Allowing for a long run or full load
Then I would use 1.5mm cable
Which is rated for 15A at 240v.
So basically a heavy duty tradesman type lead
will be just perfect as they use 1.5mm cable.

all depends on the length of the cable run. volt drop might be a concern. i'd go with marvo's post#3. 2.5mm HO7.

Reply to How not to melt a cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net