Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss how often do you change the test leads in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

buzzlightyear

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

having been testing a lot of gear recently and using my megger 1720 never lost a bleep and recently why I was testing at the mains and was getting PEFC ok but not PSCC so my thoughts where faulty tester and send for repair ,but having received a new set of test leads separates as a back up and just left them in the office for a rainy day ,so now used the new test leads hay presto now showing PSCC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
On my multimeter I get through a set of decent quality test leads in about 18 months. The black lead usually fails O/C first, at the entry point into the probe, which puzzled me for a while. I started watching how I handle them and realised that sometimes when I run out of hands, I park the black probe in place and press or lean against the end, which stresses the cable in a way that I don't usually inflict on the red.

MFT leads fail but not as often, we tend to use a wide variety of different configurations of leads so the wear and tear is spread out amongst them.

buzzlightyear

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
When I have finished testing, all leads are putting in bags and probs go in a separate tub for safe keeping plus looking in the tub and know if any things are missing.
I remember doing a job and left a prob on site.cost me dear.

SJD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I replace my MFT leads approx. every 12 to 18 months. Often the contacts get slightly variable at either the MFT or probe/crock clip end, and a symptom is needing to frequently null for continuity measurements. I probably mistreat them a little, which doesn't help.

Reply to how often do you change the test leads in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.