Discuss How old is too old to train? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Please be as honest as you can all, I'm looking for real honest views before I waste thousands of pounds and my few remaining years of working life.

My situation is that I am a 55 year old contemplating a change of career and venturing into the work of domestic installation.

I have no mortgage and am able to survive on a minimum income, but I'm not the kind of person to retire early. During my school days, when God was a boy, the educational system refused to accept I wanted to enter any trade based on my exam results and insisted I needed to go to Uni and get a "proper job".
It was also discovered that I am red/green colour deficient and I was assured I would never be a sparky!
My "wish" is to train as a domestic installer and work my remaining years in a game that I would be happy with. That said, there is no training within a million miles of South Wales but I am willing to move away from home to achieve this.

I don't want to get a Gold card but quality to handles domestic installations, EICR's, and smaller jobs in general.

I have an reasonable DIY knowledge of electrics and have carried out rewires on my own property in years gone by, and I am fully aware of the pitfalls of training so late in life.

So, the question is, am I simply too old to start? Wasting my time?
Also, I would need to get some employment as an electricians mate to gain at least 2 years experience and gain Napit CP registration.
I would be willing to work for less than minimum wage (which is legal as long as I confirm this in writing to any employer), I would be willing to work for free for a year as worst case scenario.

Do you think any spark would consider such a person?

I am not naïve with regards to working for myself as I ran my own business for several years and I understand this would be a gamble. But what price can you put on job satisfaction?

Many Thanks for reading.

Richard

Have to answer you are never too old. I am just starting a one year MSc in a new field, however the reason i am shifting my skillset is that i have limited time left in the trade due to arthritis. So my only input here is fully consider the physical aspects of domestic work. I stopped doing this type of work nearly 5 years ago (your age) because actually commercial and industrial has distinct advantages for tired trades people, things like scissors and cheery pickers, fork lift trucks, pallet trucks, easier access, less bending into difficult areas.
Good Luck

Please be as honest as you can all, I'm looking for real honest views before I waste thousands of pounds and my few remaining years of working life.

My situation is that I am a 55 year old contemplating a change of career and venturing into the work of domestic installation.

I have no mortgage and am able to survive on a minimum income, but I'm not the kind of person to retire early. During my school days, when God was a boy, the educational system refused to accept I wanted to enter any trade based on my exam results and insisted I needed to go to Uni and get a "proper job".
It was also discovered that I am red/green colour deficient and I was assured I would never be a sparky!
My "wish" is to train as a domestic installer and work my remaining years in a game that I would be happy with. That said, there is no training within a million miles of South Wales but I am willing to move away from home to achieve this.

I don't want to get a Gold card but quality to handles domestic installations, EICR's, and smaller jobs in general.

I have an reasonable DIY knowledge of electrics and have carried out rewires on my own property in years gone by, and I am fully aware of the pitfalls of training so late in life.

Also, I would need to get some employment as an electricians mate to gain at least 2 years experience and gain Napit CP registration.
I would be willing to work for less than minimum wage (which is legal as long as I confirm this in writing to any employer), I would be willing to work for free for a year as worst case scenario.

I am not naïve with regards to working for myself as I ran my own business for several years and I understand this would be a gamble. But what price can you put on job satisfaction?

Many Thanks for reading.

Richard

You mention South Wales and that there is no training... I did some of my training in Cardiff and some in Cwmbran. So... where abouts are you? And... I'm not calling you out or anything... I'm genuinely interested... I operate in Newport and Cardiff and might be able to help... if for no other reason than to get you some time on site so you can get an idea of what you'd be getting yourself into.

If you don't want to share publicly, start a private conversation with me.

You mention South Wales and that there is no training... I did some of my training in Cardiff and some in Cwmbran. So... where abouts are you? And... I'm not calling you out or anything... I'm genuinely interested... I operate in Newport and Cardiff and might be able to help... if for no other reason than to get you some time on site so you can get an idea of what you'd be getting yourself into.

If you don't want to share publicly, start a private conversation with me.
Thanks for the reply.
My research so far has not shown any suitable training. if you know of any do let me know. I did cough up £750 deposit to Access Training in Cardiff but managed to cancel and get a refund after finding that they are no longer BTEC or EAL backed resulting in their "certificates" being an expensive waste of money. I spoke with Napit who suggested I shopped elsewhere.

If you ever wants a spectator for a day (willing to fetch, carry and provide coffee etc), I would be grateful for the experience.

Hats off to you for trying but I'm 54 and starting to feel the aches and pains of physical labour.By the time you got to a reasonable stage of education you'de be pushing 60.Obviously everyone is different but I for one don't want to be doing this past 60-65.By all means keep learning but to go in a new direction and especially if your colour blind seems a bit late in life.If you wish to go ahead then I wish you all the luck in the world.🙂

to be honest there is no legal requirement for you to get paper qualifications. the only one that people would ask about is the regs. (currently 18th Edition). The requirement is that you are "competent". from your previous post I understand that you are, having done rewires etc. my advice, for whichI'll probably get slated is to get the 18th, a decent MFT, some tools, then crack on. and don't forget public liability, around £100/year for £2m.
It worked for me, having done HND Electrica l Engineering., but no "electrician" papers., just watched and learnt.

to be honest there is no legal requirement for you to get paper qualifications. the only one that people would ask about is the regs. (currently 18th Edition). The requirement is that you are "competent". from your previous post I understand that you are, having done rewires etc. my advice, for whichI'll probably get slated is to get the 18th, a decent MFT, some tools, then crack on. and don't forget public liability, around £100/year for £2m.
It worked for me, having done HND Electrica l Engineering., but no "electrician" papers., just watched and learnt.

He is going to need to be competent in testing and inspection though as well Tel.

He is going to need to be competent in testing and inspection though as well Tel.
true. when I started out it was just an analogue wind up megger - continuity and IR. RCDs were just being used in place of voltage operated ELCBs. on these, test button was it for a good while.

I started sparking at 17 in London. Got JIB graded and did nothing exam wise since then. When I was 60 ish I had to go and get level 2/3 and a portfolio and 2391 all of which meant about 20 exams practical and written (literally for the 2391) I am still working at 68 albeit not as I did like 12 hour days and spanging through jobs. So... if I was 55 yeah I would do it. I llike the work and it keeps the blood pumping and joints working I am fine with it.
As to training, NAPIT and all the other schemes require AM2 now as well as level 2 and 3 NVQ which is quite a course. I understand NAPIT do an entry course to the trade. Also Morris services in Kingswood Bristol are excellent trainers. They have a place in Bristol. Which were you to be based or able to work in Bristol I could also help with work here and there. So I say go for it.

I agree. I also think there are some out there who are capable of easily digesting John Ward's excellent videos, and then with a couple of weeks hands-on supervision have the mechanics of testing nailed down quite quickly. I also suspect the OP is in this club.
The harder part is of course learning what on earth to do when the right numbers don't come up! Inspection is also subject to knowledge of the regs which won't happen overnight.

That said, I believe it is possible for the right individual to self-teach these subjects but it would certainly be a lot quicker and easier with an experienced mentor.

Fair play to you , but I will be honest electrical installation work is very physical.
I started at 15 years of age I am now 58 and had to retire early my back and knees are finished.
That maybe my fault council house bashing for years takes its toll.
I did my gas exams at the age of 53 when I was metering for one of the big six, so its never too late.

Fair play to you , but I will be honest electrical installation work is very physical.
I started at 15 years of age I am now 58 and had to retire early my back and knees are finished.
That maybe my fault council house bashing for years takes its toll.
I did my gas exams at the age of 53 when I was metering for one of the big six, so its never too late.
The physical nature of the job is something that surprises some people , years ago I have had my younger brother help me on a few re-wires ( he is 10 years younger ) and he was knackered after just a few days. He is not unfit but just not used to crawling on his knees all day and clambering around tight lofts. He is an office worker so sat at a desk for 7 - 8 hours per day.
My back is fooked as are my knees, if I am on my knees now for 25-30mins I honestly start to panic that I won't be able to stand back up

The physical nature of the job is something that surprises some people , years ago I have had my younger brother help me on a few re-wires ( he is 10 years younger ) and he was knackered after just a few days. He is not unfit but just not used to crawling on his knees all day and clambering around tight lofts. He is an office worker so sat at a desk for 7 - 8 hours per day.
My back is fooked as are my knees, if I am on my knees now for 25-30mins I honestly start to panic that I won't be able to stand back up
Suppose you could just do EICR or just be a tester easier on the body DD lol

What do you mean? You need more than just 2 years experience to register on a scheme now (rules changed Sept 2021 i believe).
Don't ever do this. It just drives down wages for everyone else.

Many Thanks for reading.

Richard
Depends if you want to be competent or just a pretender, nothing like an aprenticeship training program and many years of ciansecriv\experience to become fully trained these days ,far to many wannabes pretending to be Electricians theses days

Many Thanks for reading.

Richard
I am a JIB graded approved electrician who is now an Engineer in Healthcare. In 2019 I commenced a Foundation degree in Hospital Engineering which I completed this year and I start my BSc to follow on from the Foundation Degree this month.
I am 61 and no it's never too late to learn

Reply to How old is too old to train? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net