Discuss How old is too old to train? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reading back the OP, is the colourblind issue still a problem for becoming an electrician… even a 5 week- wonder fast track?

I remember when I was 16 and becoming an apprentice, that was one of the prerequisites, along with some simple maths and a few logic problems.

Well done, Richard, good attitude.
I needed a career change at age 54, (from a healthcare related profession), managed to get a 2330 place at Swindon, one day a week, and eventually enough agency placements (as a mate, of course) to learn the mechanics of the trade. Like you, also had extensive DIY experience which included various facets of construction besides having electrical and electronic knowledge.
It worked for me, and having passed 17th & 18th Edition tests (and an AM2, which they told me afterwards that I didn't actually need), I ended up in a super maintenance job that included a fair bit of new install. In retirement, I still do it on a voluntary basis for my favourite local outdoor activity youthwork charity.
Coming onto the trade as late as I did, it remained 'fun'; had I been doing it from age 16, I'm sure I'd have had enough by now.
I think other comments above may be useful; my strong preference is for industrial/commercial rather than domestic, for a number of reasons that include the above.
Regarding your colour vision issue, I suspect it might not be as great a bar as you fear. It's very important to know that there's a world of difference between 'colour defective' and 'colour blind'. Colour vision deficiency can be regarded as a 3 dimensional space, with normal colour vision represented as one small area within that space. How far away from that area you are, can be determined by a number of quantitative tests. Your optometrist should be able to help if he/she is any good (and if not, find an Independent one rather than one of the national/local groups); they will be able to refer you to the optometry department of Cardiff University for a further opinion if they can't advise fully themselves.
Hope all that helps.
Graham

The OP hasn't been on again since writing his first message, however the colour blind issue is interesting.

I can't see a problem being colour blind in a domestic setting. You are mainly dealing with either red/black cable or brown/blue. 3 core and earth, old and new colours also but when do you ever decide if a conductor is a permanent live, switch live or neutral based on it's colour? You always test.

Also, the only colour that looks the same is the red (from the older twin and earth) and the brown (from the newer twin and earth). Both would 'usually' be classed as line conductors, but again you just test. Also, if you have a red conductor poking out at you and a brown, you will know which is which as the red will be with the black and the brown will be with the blue.

I have known a colour blind electrician for years. He has only once needed to ask someone the colour of a conductor. This was in a cat5e cable. Even then he could have used continuity tests if he didn't have anyone to ask.

Commercial/Industrial may well be a different story, out of my remit though.

Reply to How old is too old to train? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net