Discuss How old were you when you started your business in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

about 3 months ago for me and im just a few months over 30, although im told i look 25! lol, think you always learn whilst at work and would defy anybody who says they no everything about anything!

if you feel confident then you gotta be halfway there, no your limits and you'll be fine or again learn some more" lol

rich

sounds good spark im 26 and its in my head constantly thats why i think it must be time and love learning just dont know where to start although have been looking into it . trying to do night work haha (homers) to try build up a client base and of course there would be the few which comes from my company(boss will love that)haha is that how you went about building up work sparks?????

sorry i mean rich i just read your post again

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah initially thats about all you can do, couple of me boss's ex clients are now mine (nothing too detrimental tho, prob only worth 5-6k a year)
always a bit dodgy advertising whilst still working for someone!!, the only reason i went self employed (although dont regret it) is when my works van got robbed and boss had no insurance, i lost about £1200 worth.
if i could do it all agian id of got things soarted before taking the plunge, part p stuff, scheme providers, vans, liability insurance and everything else. getting all this before jacking ya job in is defo a good thing!!

yes sounds like some good advice, nightmare about the tools ,im in scotland and we dont have part p yet but am in the process of being an approved spark just have to sit the test in a few weeks then once passed that cant then become either select reg or niceic but still need to see which of two is the better. do you find work easy to come by. i know if your a decent spark and professional, work shouldnt be a problem but you do wonder ???

at all depends how lucky you are, although the building trade seems to have calmed down abit, if you get in with a couple of builders, have some advertising going on, and some leaflet drops maybe. then yeah like you say builders for regular work and all the rest can only get better with word of mouth n all that.
so long as your prepared to work and sort all your tax and other things you'll be fine.
at the minute things are just ticking over for me, gotta couple builders that have got work coming my way, its all a case of when! defo good to have a nice wedge of cash before going self emp!!

yes thought you might say that about the money doesnt help when the wife due in october thats why im hoping to start up maybe jan feb next year and just go for it end of day cant only but try.until then just trying to get they homers up and running and take things from that roll on jan thanks for the advice rich good talking to some one who has just done it will let you know in the near future how things go take it easy. where are you based??????

I was 26, and wish I had done it earlier, but deliberated for ages about it,and listened too much to family members throwing 'what if's' at me. Eventually thought 'oh b***ocks to it' and got on with it.

I think it is somthing you just have to get on and do rather than worrying too much, though I had no wife or kids, and obviously that would have made the decision harder.

I set up my own advertising co at 27. Big house, Porsche, lots of holidays then Bin frikkin Laden took the trade centre down and I had invested over 100K in I.T & telecomms rates and with that and every co panicking all advertising ceased. Put my co into liquidation - from 60K per month T/O to 0 in 60 seconds! Changed trade and now embarking on my own as we speak and am now just 37.

I got fully NICEIC registered at the age of 20 before this domestic installer scheme stuff. I would still go for full enrollment whats the point in doing half a job?
Regards
AJ

I went self employed in 06 at the age of 27. I had a few very quiet months at the begining, but from March 07 I've pretty much been working 6 or 7 days a week.:)

Started on my own at 39 and young at heart
Now 238 and feeling it
The stress of this ocupation can shorten your life expectancy Ive been told :(

Reply to How old were you when you started your business in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock