Discuss How qualified am I, your thoughts please. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening all, I hope your all full of Christmas cheer!

I have a long standing query. I've spent a lot of time within the Security industry and I'm considering jacking it in and going back to a spark. My question is how qualified do you guys think I am to just go ahead and apply for a few vacancies listed out there.

My qualifications are:-
C&G Electrical installation part 1
C&G Electrical installation part 2 (failed science module unfortunately)
C&G NVQ Level 2 installing electro technical systems
C&G BS7671 18th edition wiring regulations
C&G 2392 Fundermental inspection and testing and initial verification of electrical installations
C&G 2394 Level 3 award in initial verification and of electrical installations
C&G2395 Level 3 award in periodic inspection and testing of electrical installations

I completed my apprentership in 2003 there was no, requirement to take an AM2 or achieve an NVQ L3 back then, Any ideas where I would stand?

Your thoughts please.

Thanks spinlondon.

It's likely I wouldn't look at a JIB member for employment. My back ground is largely in facilities management and the maintence of electrical installations with commercial buildings. An improver card would really be a kick in the genitals.

As long as you get a job that wouldn't require you to get an ECS card then you should be fine. If you need to get an ECS card then you could apply for an Electrical Trainee card but after 24 months you'll be forced to apply for an Electrical Labourer card.
The ECS system is a joke but it's all we've got at the moment. You ever thought about doing the NVQ and getting fully qualified? It'll help open new opportunities for you as most companies JIB or not tend to use the JIB card against you if you're not "fully qualified"

I thought the Improver card is available to someone with NVQ2?
Using the JIB mature candidate thing, might enable you to obtain a gold card, considering that you have the 2392 etc?

As long as you get a job that wouldn't require you to get an ECS card then you should be fine. If you need to get an ECS card then you could apply for an Electrical Trainee card but after 24 months you'll be forced to apply for an Electrical Labourer card.
The ECS system is a joke but it's all we've got at the moment. You ever thought about doing the NVQ and getting fully qualified? It'll help open new opportunities for you as most companies JIB or not tend to use the JIB card against you if you're not "fully qualified"

I have to be honest, but it's time and money. I've spoken with our JTL guy who's also mentioned NVQ3 and the mature candidate assessment. To be honest it sounds like I'm buggered. Unless I can find a company that's prepared to support me though it. How can you apply for anything when your not fully qualified? I don't stand much chance really.

Youve done an apprentiship so surely your good to go? Maybe need to redo your tech cert to level 3... Used to be a definitive list of the requirements on the iet website but cant find it anymore

I have to be honest, but it's time and money. I've spoken with our JTL guy who's also mentioned NVQ3 and the mature candidate assessment. To be honest it sounds like I'm buggered. Unless I can find a company that's prepared to support me though it. How can you apply for anything when your not fully qualified? I don't stand much chance really.

I wouldn't worry too much, I've worked with plenty of people who aren't qualified and they all seem to find work easily.

Youve done an apprentiship so surely your good to go? Maybe need to redo your tech cert to level 3... Used to be a definitive list of the requirements on the iet website but cant find it anymore

You would expect so. However with no NVQ3 or an am2 it's something that's always bothered me. So I thought I was worth asking for some opinions.

Its still perfectly fine to do an apprentiship instead of an nvq as far as im aware?

This link may be usefull... Ive only skimmed it

Electrical qualifications - https://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/issues/67/electrical-qualifications/

Last edited:
Fire and Intruder firms don't ever seem to be interested in tech quals, only FIA and experience. Some FM firms don't seem to be bothered either, particularly in a multi - skilled type role. I imagine that is what you have found.

I Agree with Spin, you would definitely be suitable for the mature assesment NVQ3, it is aimed at people just like you. Just do it, get your gold card and have your choice of Electrical jobs.

To do the mature assessment the OP will still have to be in employment to fill in his evidence which seems to be the stumbling block.

To do the mature assessment the OP will still have to be in employment to fill in his evidence which seems to be the stumbling block.
Although the JIB/ECS application forms have lots of boxes to be filled in by your employer, I have always been Self Employed when applying for or renewing the card so have always left those boxes blank.

Reply to How qualified am I, your thoughts please. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock