Discuss How should you locally isolate the supply in a garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I’ve just moved into a new bungalow.
The 6mm T&E cable supplying the garage goes to a FSU with a 13amp fuse.
The FSU feeds two double sockets and 2 LED light battens in the garage.
The supply is protected by a 16amp mcb backed up by a 63amp 30mA RCD from the consumer unit which is located in a cupboard in the bungalow.
I was wondering if a metal 2 way consumer unit with a 16mcb for the sockets and a 6amp mcb for the lighting should have been used instead of the FSU.
I would appreciate any advice on this subject thank you.
Steve

Welcome to the forum mate.

Your title and post ask different questions.

As your title asks, you can isolate the supply to your garage using the breaker or the FCU.

As for your post, apparently its a common way for new builds to have their garage wired up, as it's cheaper to install than have a CU in the garage.
Ok, 6mm is a bit overkill for a 16A supply, (as above, depending in installation method and voltage drop)
Adding a CU to your garage now would fall under the building regs and building control would need to be notified.

Having a FCU is not that bad, only reason really to change would be if you expected to need more than 13A from the various sockets.

It is more common to see a garage wired as a 20A radial to the sockets and a FCU simply providing a switched 3A feed to the lights.

Having a means of isolation is a good thing, but if it were me planning this I would probably have put a 20A DP switch in the house so any garage fault (including the feed cable) could be isolated and not risk the house RCD tripping on the likes of an external N-E fault.

Reply to How should you locally isolate the supply in a garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock