Discuss how the trade has fallen in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Guest111

A friend of ours was telling us the other day how well her grandaughter is doing since she met her new boyfriend,I really had to bite my tongue when she came out with the following statement." he's a lovelly chap,fully quallified electrician,fully quallified plumber and he's just done his gas certificate and he only started out 2 years ago".I was dying to tell her what I thought but managed some how to bite my tongue.
How the hell can anyone be a fully qualified electrician OR plumber in 2 years let alone both!

We all know which training route he will have taken. I hope you didn’t give him you’re phone number, he’d be calling you instead of appearing here every five minutes because he’s run in to something he doesn’t understand.

Pity you didn’t ask what qualifications he holds.

Its frustrating.

I went the 4 year apprentiship route, NVQ's, HNC's, 2391 ect and it feels like that has been devalued a little by these intense courses. Ive had all kinds of bad experiences with electricians who have done these fast track courses.........one had set up doing PIR's and gave a code 1 fault to a mate's business for missing grommits from socket backboxes. Another tried telling me that some outside lights mounted 2 metres up a wall were 'illegal' because they weren't satisfying the 'placed out of reach' regulation :dunce2:.

I love it when others describe something as "illegal" I always ask which law it contravenes.

8 years worth of learning + the add on qualifications in 2 years. We must have been dullards lads, 1 trade in 4 years. Slackers the lot of use.
I'd love to know exactly what quals this guy really does hold.

I spent 6 plus years of my life in college, C&G, then ONC electrical engineering, 15th& 16th...then further years studying BS fire sections, autocad Spent most of my life in commercial section.....then last year rewired my mates house, as 100`s I done before...only to be told my testing and certification was not acceptable as I was not part P???...A few Local sparks jumped and stated they would have no problems signing my work off. And did so with no problems...Make me laugh that the IEE set a standard and the scams set a preference..!!

Its frustrating.

I went the 4 year apprentiship route, NVQ's, HNC's, 2391 ect and it feels like that has been devalued a little by these intense courses. Ive had all kinds of bad experiences with electricians who have done these fast track courses.........one had set up doing PIR's and gave a code 1 fault to a mate's business for missing grommits from socket backboxes. Another tried telling me that some outside lights mounted 2 metres up a wall were 'illegal' because they weren't satisfying the 'placed out of reach' regulation :dunce2:.

Hahaha, this really did make me laugh.

Whoever this end of a bell is definitley deserves an 'RKO outta nowhere'

P.S I don't expect the senior members to understand this :)

Haha, those RKO things are getting more and more crazy every day!

The other one ive had was a guy who was convinced id broke the rules because id put the banjo of a BW gland on the inside of an enclosure as it was 'no longer in contact with the main gland body'................although he did relent when i showed him numerous pictures of banjo's inside an enclosure from the IEE's own guidance notes.

So you have the "main body of the gland" with it's threaded bit that sticks into the enclosure. Then you have the banjo and a nut.
How the hell is the banjo not in contact with the body of the gland

Hahaha, this really did make me laugh.

Whoever this end of a bell is definitley deserves an 'RKO outta nowhere'

P.S I don't expect the senior members to understand this :)
Truth is we don`t....C&G minimum 2 years...OND/ONC 2 years/4years HNC?HND 2years/4years.
NVQnot accepted in our criteria

Reply to how the trade has fallen in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock