Discuss How to: Accurately quantity survey commercial/industrial works? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've been an electrician for some time now & have worked in B.M.S, commercial, industrial & domestic environments at some level or another over the years. I am once again self employed (which I do prefer due to the earning potential) & expect to bag a significant job late next year. I am used to pricing my own work, not on the scale of this job however, a 20,000 sq ft commercial unit.
I know there is pricing software available now days, but would prefer the more traditional way of costing. (still open to advice on this though)
How for example would you go about pricing different containment & wiring systems, D.B's, fire alarms & so on. I have obviously developed my own pricing structure over time which has served me well enough, but feel I need the input of others here to give me assurance that my cost will be as accurate as possible.
Many thanks C.B

Hi Craig welcome to the forum.

A 20,000 sq ft warehouse doesn't justify the expence of software for pricing in my opinion.

Tape measure pen paper calculator and as much input from end user. Several meatings if nessissary to get it right.

List of materials with a few scetches to help, add an extra 10% of materials needed. Work out cost of materials add another 20% to that to cover unexpected future damages and faulty goods.

Work out how many days labour with a labourer. Both on ful day rate. Add en extra couple of days just in case.

Add together.

Done.

I wonder sometimes how company’s actually can price the biggies.
We all know it not as simple as it seems.
Usually there’s a plan of works,other trades are on site,giving a sparky so many weeks.
So part of the actual works can be already priced on that,how many men,well that’s the difficult bit.

Bit disappointed on this one,not many answering,proves how difficult it is to accurately price on array of electrical works.
I have to disagree with that. I find pricing work relatively easy if you get all the facts, communicate with end user and take your time working out costs and labour time. You don't need expensive software, just common sense.

One thing I ensure when doing quotes is I am not competing on price with other companies.
If they can do it cheaper great, but many companies are doing the work too cheap and make losses just to get the work.
This has a double whammy impact. It undercuts the correct price and contributes to big companies going into liquidation or bankrupsy.

I have to disagree with that. I find pricing work relatively easy if you get all the facts, communicate with end user and take your time working out costs and labour time. You don't need expensive software, just common sense.

One thing I ensure when doing quotes is I am not competing on price with other companies.
If they can do it cheaper great, but many companies are doing the work too cheap and make losses just to get the work.
This has a double whammy impact. It undercuts the correct price and contributes to big companies going into liquidation or bankrupsy.
Hi Pete, Thanks for your response. As I said I have developed my own pricing structure over the years
Hi Craig welcome to the forum.

A 20,000 sq ft warehouse doesn't justify the expence of software for pricing in my opinion.

Tape measure pen paper calculator and as much input from end user. Several meatings if nessissary to get it right.

List of materials with a few scetches to help, add an extra 10% of materials needed. Work out cost of materials add another 20% to that to cover unexpected future damages and faulty goods.

Work out how many days labour with a labourer. Both on ful day rate. Add en extra couple of days just in case.

Add together.

Done.
Hi Pete, Thanks for your reply, sounds like you do pretty much as I do when pricing, just looking for reassurance on this one as it's been a while since I've priced a big one. Many thanks, Craig.

I find it easiest to break it down into smaller sections ie. start with primary containment, then secondary containment, move on to distribution boards then on to mains and sub mains wiring etc. Also beneficial if the client wants a breakdown of costs.

Reply to How to: Accurately quantity survey commercial/industrial works? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock