Discuss How to add exterior lights to garage opener? in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
18DC5EF7-5CEC-4A9F-B173-F5DD0D976F81.jpeg
i just installed a new garage door opener. Does anyone know of a way to get my exterior garage lights to operate when the garage opener lights are?
currently the exterior lights are just controlled by a switch in the garage. Thanks for any information.

you may be able to just power then from thr door's light, depending on the load. it they are LED should not be a problem.

you may be able to just power then from thr door's light, depending on the load. it they are LED should not be a problem.
Or swap the normal on off switch for a switch operated mechanically when the door is opened.

Or swap the normal on off switch for a switch operated mechanically when the door is opened.
my thoughts are that the courtesy light is probablyonly a 60watt incandescentand adding a small load such as the external lights would not overload the circuit. simplest way, IMO.

View attachment 55952
i just installed a new garage door opener. Does anyone know of a way to get my exterior garage lights to operate when the garage opener lights are?
currently the exterior lights are just controlled by a switch in the garage. Thanks for any information.
Turner welcome to the forum and if it was me I would hang my security lights and and get the power from your garage door opener. That way when you open the door the security lights will come on at the same time. Please hire an electrician to do this simple job for you. Good luck

Turner welcome to the forum and if it was me I would hang my security lights and and get the power from your garage door opener. That way when you open the door the security lights will come on at the same time. Please hire an electrician to do this simple job for you. Good luck
just wondering what heinous crime the lighs have committed to warrant a hanging. Yee Haw, Texas Law. :p :p :p

View attachment 55952
I was also wondering is it possible to keep the switch as an on/off while the garage opener also turns them on/off??

you could try a hot from the courtsey light to the switched hot at the switch
[automerge]1582561031[/automerge]
@ pete. more like Dixie. total reble is me.

Last edited:
Most garage door openers do have facilities for attaching external lights to them,
I suggest you check yours, or even heaven forbid, read the instructions booklet,
most of which are readily available on line.

Most garage door openers do have facilities for attaching external lights to them,
I suggest you check yours, or even heaven forbid, read the instructions booklet,
most of which are readily available on line.
DMX get you some 14/2 with ground romex and pull it to the switch, then pull the same thing to your security lights. Once you have 2cables hook up the blacks to the switch and tie the whites together Terminate the wiring in you garage door with the black and white to the actual light in the garage door opener

DMX get you some 14/2 with ground romex and pull it to the switch, then pull the same thing to your security lights. Once you have 2cables hook up the blacks to the switch and tie the whites together Terminate the wiring in you garage door with the black and white to the actual light in the garage door opener
too comlicated. all he needs is a switched hot from the curtesy light to the switched hot in the switch for the outside lights.

too comlicated. all he needs is a switched hot from the curtesy light to the switched hot in the switch for the outside lights.

Assuming the garage door opener and the outside lights are on the same circuit, if not then your suggestion will link two different circuits and create a potentially dangerous situation.

Assuming the garage door opener and the outside lights are on the same circuit, if not then your suggestion will link two different circuits and create a potentially dangerous situation.
well spotted. assumed outside lights would be fed from garage. if not, i agree. hadn't thought that far.

Dave it is coming from the same circuit as the door opener. Read the reply again I said nothing about 2 circuits.

Reply to How to add exterior lights to garage opener? in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net