Discuss how to become an electrician UK in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You will need the following qualifications:

Level 2 2365.
Level 3 2365.
NVQ3
AM2
18th edition.

Then after that you can do the 2391 to become approved.

Then the 2396 to become a technician.

You're probably looking at 4-5 years.

Hi!
I live in London and have 5 years experience in another country (Lebanon).
How I became an electrician in the UK, how to be a qualified electrician, and how much time I needed to do it
Regards

Welcome to the forum mate.
What qualifications did you gain in Lebanon?

You will need the following qualifications:

Level 2 2365.
Level 3 2365.
NVQ3
AM2
18th edition.

Then after that you can do the 2391 to become approved.

Then the 2396 to become a technician.

You're probably looking at 4-5 years.
Does doing the 2396 make you a technician?

I’ve done it and didn’t realise. Does this make me a technician?

18 days, Dusty?
I followed the link and am appalled, frankly.

As a corrollary, my GP retired after 40 years in the NHS. I saw his successor yesterday...she Googled everything, because that is "best practice" nowadays...

She had no idea what my symptoms suggested, but the old guy could tell just by chatting while taking my BP (which is excellent, btw!)

Oh yes, Steven knew his stuff...Marion? Not a chance! But...she has to learn, so needs time at the coal face.
Everyone needs experience, so you can recognise that anomaly that stumps newer practitioners.

I'm all for learning courses, but please don't tell me that 18 days makes you competent to install a new CU in my house...I'd probably be better served doing it myself.

Hi which field of electro technical installations are you looking to work in? If you are looking to become a self employed domestic electrician working on single phase then the short course training schemes are a good starting point. If you thinking about major site work and more commercial then the college route mentioned earlier is probably a slower but deeper knowledge path. One of the major problems in the UK is there is no standardised consistent set route into the industry for late entrants. Be wary of some of the short course providers as they also involve loan agreements and can be very costly, I know I did that route. I actual teach now so you can find experience from all paths and it also is down to the support network you have around you.

The way I'm reading that, is the Grade 4 qualification on its own does not make you a Technician.
Yeah it’s NVQ Level 3 or apprenticeship & AM2, then two years experience as Electrician and testing and inspection for Approved Electrician, and then 5 years experience, inc 3 years as supervisor, as Approved Electrician and Design and Verification Level 4 or HNC

To become an electrician up here in Scotland, you can either follow the paths as described in the video below, or alternatively, you can save yourself time and money by just deciding to dispense with the training and qualifications and calling yourself an electrician anyway.

Lots of Scottish builders, plumbers, kitchen-fitters, bathroom-fitters and over-confident DIYers have gone down the latter route and are now plying their trade as 'electricians' and doing a fantastic job in lowering industry standards and endangering the public.

Sorry 18 day course

If this course can produce electricians after just 18 days of training, then why bother with apprenticeships? Why not just abolish apprenticeships altogether and have companies send their trainees on an 18 day course instead? The question is, of course, rhetorical. I already know why and so will most of you.

Reply to how to become an electrician UK in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock