Discuss How to bypass an RCD and carry out an insulation resistance test on a circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all. 20180905_155402.jpg

I'm a 4th year electrician currently awaiting to finish my trade test. (FICA in Scotland) the only parts I have to pass is the testing part and fault finding.

I'm currently studying testing as this is something I have done the minimum of onsite.

Could someone tell me how I would bypass the rcd when carrying out an insulation resistance test as I don't want to damage the RCD. I will attach a picture of board I am testing

Thanks in advance

Hi all. View attachment 44150

I'm a 4th year electrician currently awaiting to finish my trade test. (FICA in Scotland) the only parts I have to pass is the testing part and fault finding.

I'm currently studying testing as this is something I have done the minimum of onsite.

Could someone tell me how I would bypass the rcd when carrying out an insulation resistance test as I don't want to damage the RCD. I will attach a picture of board I am testing

Thanks in advance
Safe Isolation, and test from the load side with the cables disconnected. Or can you swap the RCD temporarily with an Isolator to do your testing?

Hi Pete. Good to hear from you again aswel sir! You may not remember but you helped me with some feedback a while ago aswel. I really appreciate it mate & also a big thanks to you journeyman for taking the time to help me. Im truly grateful.

I cannot swap the RCD for an isolater unfortunately. I am just having a look at my On site guide right now before I go back to the board. I will keep you both posted.

Thanks once again, sincerely!

Hi Pete. Good to hear from you again aswel sir! You may not remember but you helped me with some feedback a while ago aswel. I really appreciate it mate & also a big thanks to you journeyman for taking the time to help me. Im truly grateful.

I cannot swap the RCD for an isolater unfortunately. I am just having a look at my On site guide right now before I go back to the board. I will keep you both posted.

Thanks once again, sincerely!
No worries mate, glad to help.

if that board is your install, you need a kick up the arse. bare copper exposed on the L incomer to the main switch.
Yup, however the board is a bit tatty, he will get there in the end though, still 4 years in, should be better.

Not my Install lads. It's the consumer unit of my Girlfriend's house. She lives in a council house so it must have been the local council who installed the board. Ive worked predominantly on domestic new builds so fitting out Consumer units is one of my better skills. I agree the copper exposed on the terminations leaves a lot to be desired. I'll fix it as I go along. Thanks again everybody regardless if it's advice or criticism, I appreciate all the feedback .

if that board is your install, you need a kick up the arse. bare copper exposed on the L incomer to the main switch.

As well the bare copper, the strands appear to have been damaged when stripped.
The cross sectional area is compromised here....
8FB9E562-2E14-4F53-AA6E-E7E334F2793A.jpeg

Just noticed this as well....oh dear!
View attachment 44157
that 25mm looks as if it's been stripped by a beaver. i always cut the outer sheath back 1/4" so you can see the brown/blue ibsulation layer. then you know if you'f put it in the wrong hole.

Reply to How to bypass an RCD and carry out an insulation resistance test on a circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net