Discuss How to change normal circuit for lighting to a light sensitive circuit? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have garden lights and lights on my fence that I would like to arrange for them to switch on automatically when the sun sets for security purposes. I currently have switches for all the lights on the fence and the garden lights are huge LED appliances that are also hooked up and switched on by switches. I am a mechanical engineer therefore I have a small background in using LDRs, however, I do not know where to install the LDR and how to have it outside somehow so that it can detect the darkness. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me with this!
Thanks!
NA

If you search for "Photocell light Switch" or "Daylight Dusk till Dawn Sensor" you should find several suppliers of switches for lights. They are mounted outside and have a light sensor and usually an adjustable threshold for the dark switch on point.

Typically they can switch a moderate amount of LED lights (say up to 250W or more) but you would need to select a model you can get locally first to find its specifications.

Usually the only complication is if you want fancy control over what lights are automatic and what are on manual switching. But in principle a photocell switch is a replacement for a light switch and is wired in series with a simple switch so you have a manual means of isolating the power as needed.

To add to the above, you would also need to find out how the lights are wired up to the switches, as you have more than one switch.
How many switches do you have?
How many lights do you have?
Whats the Wattage of all the lights?
Do they all belong on the same circuit?
If you know how they are wired up then draw a simple diagram and post it on here. We can then help more.

If you search for "Photocell light Switch" or "Daylight Dusk till Dawn Sensor" you should find several suppliers of switches for lights. They are mounted outside and have a light sensor and usually an adjustable threshold for the dark switch on point.

Typically they can switch a moderate amount of LED lights (say up to 250W or more) but you would need to select a model you can get locally first to find its specifications.

Usually the only complication is if you want fancy control over what lights are automatic and what are on manual switching. But in principle a photocell switch is a replacement for a light switch and is wired in series with a simple switch so you have a manual means of isolating the power as needed.
Perfect!
Thank you, I'll look into that!
[automerge]1590320584[/automerge]
To add to the above, you would also need to find out how the lights are wired up to the switches, as you have more than one switch.
How many switches do you have?
How many lights do you have?
Whats the Wattage of all the lights?
Do they all belong on the same circuit?
If you know how they are wired up then draw a simple diagram and post it on here. We can then help more.
Thank you for your reply,
I'll check out the wattage and the # of switches and I'll answer back. I don't think they are all on the same circuit since I have a system where the upper floor has a different circuit breaker box, but I'll also look into that.
Thanks!

Reply to How to change normal circuit for lighting to a light sensitive circuit? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock