Discuss How to change this recessed bulb? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Since we moved house, the light above the front door hasn't worked. Picture attached.

Looking at it, does anyone know how to remove the lamp? The black fixture tilts in the outer holder but I don't know if that's just designed to allow the bulb to be angled.

IMG_0304.jpg

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/wolfcraft-wfc-5499000-gu10-lamp-removal-tool/6084k?_requestid=275912

Left loosie, righty tighty...

If that's a GU10 then a slight turn anti-clockwise will release it, if it's an MR16 then it should just pull straight out.

The whole fitting is probably held in with spring clips. You could ease the fitting out to make it easier to change the lamp.
I’m guessing you’re up a stepladder to work on this?

Watch your fingers with the springs.... they can be painful. Think mouse trap

Hi DD - Hopefully you've done it already, but it looks like the lamp turns to line up the fitting's dimples with the lamp's grooves and then hopefully the lamp pulls forward. That removal tool could be useful if you've not got something similar.

IMG_1298.jpg

Hi DD - Hopefully you've done it already, but it looks like the lamp turns to line up the fitting's dimples with the lamp's grooves and then hopefully the lamp pulls forward. That removal tool could be useful if you've not got something similar.

View attachment 46958
Didn’t notice that some of the bumps were cut outs in the lamp.
Looks like the lamp will have to turned clockwise to line up the bump on the left.

You're not alone in not noticing that the grooves and plastic bits might line up if it's rotated a bit!

I'll give that a go once I have daylight. Ordered one of those tools on Amazon.

Reply to How to change this recessed bulb? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net