Discuss How to connect exhaust fan switch to bathroom light switch? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

blakeex

DIY
Reaction score
20220618_143959_edited.jpg
Hi, how to connect the exhaust fan switch to the light switch? I have opened the exhaust fan before, there are:
  • 2 permanent live wires
  • 1 blue wire connected to neutral
  • 1 black wire connected to switched live​
As I am new to electrical, can anyone advise me what can I do to connect the wires?
The ideal outcome is when I turn on the light switch, the fan gets turned on together.
Where can I start from?

I am happy to send more photos for confirmations.

Thanks

Last edited:
So you want to connect it so the fan operates when the light is switched on.

Does the fan currently work if the light is off.

Does the fan currently work if the light is off.
Currently the fan is operated by its own fan switch. So yes when the light is turned off, the fan would continue running unless I hit the fan switch in the image at my original post.

It is almost certainly possible however whether this can be done by changing some connections or some rewiring probably can't be confirmed from here even if we can see all off the connections.

It is almost certainly possible however whether this can be done by changing some connections or some rewiring probably can't be confirmed from here even if we can see all off the connections.
Ok which connections/wires should I share here in image?

Even seeing all the cable routes and internal connections we may not be able to advise a DIYer.

I would recommend you use an electrician. Whilst the forum will give DIY advise we have to draw the line somewhere if we feel the task is not suited to your ability.

Reply to How to connect exhaust fan switch to bathroom light switch? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net