Discuss How to connect IP65 LED flood to wall box in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

dogbob

DIY
Reaction score
I'm looking at installing an imported IP65 LED floodlight with CE rating on the back of my house. I guess that IP65 + CE makes them relatively safe. This one has a cable gland and 0.5 meter vinyl jacket cable coming out of the back. Here's a photo of the back of this light, from the dealer's website.
floodlight.jpg
My house has a flush box on the outside wall. Right now, it has an old-fashioned edison-base dual spotlight fixture on it, something like shown below (image taken from web, mine is slightly different but very similar).
dual.jpg

What is the correct way to wire this light into the above box? Can I simply put a cable gland on a blank cover and run this vinyl cable into the box? Do I need conduit or other protection over the vinyl? Any other considerations?

This next question is more of an opinion/experience question. I can buy 250VAC rated cable-mounted fuse holders. Do you see any benefit to putting a 2A AGC fuse in this box, just out of paranoia? As this is non-standard, could the fuse or fuse holder add risk?

fuseholder.JPG

Thank you for your help.
[automerge]1586122157[/automerge]
By the way, I'm in the USA, so the US NEC applies.

TL;DR
I'm looking at installing an imported IP65 LED floodlight with CE rating on the back of my house. This one has a cable gland and vinyl jacket cable coming out of the back. What is the correct way to wire this light into an exterior box?
Last edited:

Reply to How to connect IP65 LED flood to wall box in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net