Discuss How to connect lights to one switch? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

MarkElect

DIY
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

My unfinished basement has five light bulbs hanging from the ceiling with pull strings to turn each one on.
I would like to add a switch somewhere so I can turn on all five with the one switch.

I looked at all of the bulbs and they are all connected together, in series.
Or at least a feed from the main panel runs in series to each bulb.

Is there an easy way to do this? If so guidance would be appreciated.

Your existing lamps are almost certainly wired in parallel - the opposite of being wired in series.
To switch them all on and off with a single additional switch, you need to leave all the existing switches in the on position, and add a switch in the live (hot) wire from the CU (main panel) to the first lamp, so that it makes and breaks that wire.

Your existing lamps are almost certainly wired in parallel - the opposite of being wired in series.
To switch them all on and off with a single additional switch, you need to leave all the existing switches in the on position, and add a switch in the live (hot) wire from the CU (main panel) to the first lamp, so that it makes and breaks that wire.
Thanks for helping out I appreciate it. :)
I only thought they were in series because I saw only one pair of wires running from each bulb to the next one.

I just had a closer look at the wiring and drew a little diagram of it.
The wiring does not appear to be straight forward.
The first lamp that's connected to the CU splits in two directions.
The first split goes to three other lamps.. The second of these three also splits.
It feeds two separate power outlets.

Back to the first lamp; its second split goes to the fifth lamp I'd like to be on my new switch.
This fifth lamp has two splits. One goes to a power outlet and the other goes to a lamp in the
cold storage room. That lamp has a transformer on it for some reason.

I hope I haven't confused you. Would you say it will be easy to install the switch I have in mind,
or does this sound like a job where I'd need a professional?

Sounds like the first solution there would also cut power to the outlets.

What you need is an extra core running from a switch somewhere and picking up each light as it goes along.
That might be a simple job to run in conduit, or simply reuse cables already in place… but on the other hand, it could be near impossible.

You could use smart enabled lamps? So leave all the switches on, but the lamps operate via smart phone or a remote control. Just have to set each lamp to the same trigger.

Reply to How to connect lights to one switch? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net