Discuss How to connect multi function timer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Drrobodog

DIY
Reaction score
Stupid question I'm sure...but...I have this Timer (V0DDTS), a live and neutral wire coming from the wall, a live and neutral going to the fountain pump...how do I connect it? Once connected what setting would give me 1min of power on, and then 5min of power off?

Feel kinda dumb must be honest, since the wiring diagram is on the one side and the timer settings are on the other, but I am at a loss. At least if I could wire the device, I could play with the programming till it's correct!

Thanks for any help :)

Greetings from London.

You need to connect a line to A1 and a neutral to A2. Connect B1 to A1 so that the cycling starts when power is present.

Then you need to select timer mode B or 2 (C or 3) which is cyclic off/on. If you power up the timer you can now adjust the time on (viz T-On) and time off (viz T-off). You will be able to observe the timer cycling on/off by the little light bottom right. Once you have your desired timing cycle you must carefully turn off and isolate all electricity before the next step.

https://docs.rs-online.com/a392/0900766b810ef473.pdf

To control the pump you need a line wire from A1 to go to terminal 15; the pump line is connected to 18. The pump neutral is connected to A2. Don't forget the earth to the pump.

Now power up again and your pump should be controlled as you want.

I would remark that 1 min on and 5 min off is a switching rate of once every six minutes - does it need to be this frequent? Could you reduce the switching rate and keep the same on to off ratio by say 10 mins on on 50mins off? The advantage would be less stress on both the switch contacts and the motor.

The next important consideration is whether the timer contacts are suited to switching the motor. What kind of motor is it and what is its power rating? You may have to use the timer to operate a motor contactor which then controls the power to the motor.

Finally, electricity and water is a risky mix so I advise you at the very least to employ an electrician to inspect and test what you have done especially that everything is indeed earthed correctly - better to be safe than sorry.

If you post some pictures of your wiring and settings then I can check these - you still call in an electrician though to do the I & T.

Greetings from South Africa!

Thank you very much, it worked perfectly.

Regarding the frequency, it's for a low pressure aeroponics system, so the timing is quite important. I've increased the off duration to 9 min for now, however I am sure this will have to be changed at some point.

The motor is for a "fountain pump" with a 28W rating. I am intending to add two more pumps to the timer. I see the timer has a contact rating of 8A, is this the theoretical max load it can take? I can't imagine getting anywhere near that number.

Regarding earthing...the pump is submersible with only a live and neutral. Can something like this be earthed? Whenever I deal with the pump I unplug it first...having a live cable going in scares me. Maybe I need to earth the water in which the pump sits??

Thanks again for all the help.

What you describe indicates they are designed with suitable insulation and construction not to require earthing but only by studying their literature or providing more details on them here can we advise with certainty. The timer will cope with two extra pumps of the same kind.

My colleagues can/will/may advise you further on suitable electrical safety protection - I avoid providing advice on complying with national regulations.

Reply to How to connect multi function timer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net