Discuss How to connect SWA armour to 6mm Twin and Earth cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have run 6mm t and e through the house from the db in the garage on a 32 amp mcb which is rcd protected. the 6 mm cable then goes into the back of an ip66 rated JB on the side of the house. i then intend to run 2 core (live and neutral) 6mm swa up to a workshop using the armour as earth.
my question is do i need to link the armour to the earth in the 6mm cable coming from the db in the garage and if so how do i do this.

On the other end, in the cu in the workshop i have got a 20 a mcb for sockets and 6 a for lights. how do i connect the earth block in the cu to the armour from the swa?

I would strongly recommend you get an electrician in to complete your works.

No disrespect, but your questions are basic ones however vitally important for the safety of your installation. Failure to have a broad spectrum of knowledge on the safety aspects of your electrical installation can lead to a simple but fatal error, unbeknown to you once installed.

You need swa cable glands. They come with the necessary earthing tag to connect the earth cable. Plenty of tutorials on YouTube on how to terminate swa cables correctly.

any extraneous metal pipes etc. in workshop?????

my post concerned extraneous metalwork, if it's TNC-S system, the you need a 10mm bonding cable back to MET, ot TT the workshop.

Thanks Cid,
i will use a pirhana nut to connect the armour to the earth
thanks everyone for their input

Will you also be acting on the input to fully test and notify this circuit to building control ? Or are you just choosing to ignore the legal and safety aspects of this job in favour of the input that gets it done to your requirements ?

i appreciate your concern andy78,
of course it will be signed of and notified so rest assured all in good hands. my brother in law is a fully qualified electrician so he is more than capable of doing this
and i work under him ;)

i appreciate your concern andy78,
of course it will be signed of and notified so rest assured all in good hands. my brother in law is a fully qualified electrician so he is more than capable of doing this
and i work under him ;)

Why are you not taking basic advice about the install from him then ? As the person signing for the design of the job he should be your primary consultant.

This is a weird one, for all the work that would be in it for him if you dig the trench for him why wouldn't he just do it. Then everything would be fine and dandy

Reply to How to connect SWA armour to 6mm Twin and Earth cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock